6mm creedmoor suggestions

I hit an accuracy node of 10 shots with the Berger 115gr HVLDs @ 3100fps with RL26 and Wolf LR Mag Primers (it was what I had left in the primer tube).
I still have about 2800 Wolf small rifle mag primers. Been saving them forever, this will be my excuse to use 'em.

I still have about 2800 Wolf small rifle mag primers. Been saving them forever, this will be my excuse to use 'em.

Are you able to load longer than the "standard" 2.7" in your Savage mag box? I had the 110s and the 115s loaded slightly past 2.8" ?

I should have plenty of room. In my past experiences Savages come with fairly long freebore chambers....

Exept WSM cartridges.

Love that cartridge! Started with Hornady Black ammo with the 105bthp. My 26", 8 twist would shoot sub 1/2MOA all the time. Set up seater die to same length as factory and locked it in! Now, with 41.ish gr. of RL 19 and the 108ELDs, I'm running over 3160fps and grouping under 1/2MOA all the way to 500yds. Seems to be no matter which powder you use, the magic is at 41.0 to 41.5 gr. I shot at 75 degrees and got 3061fps, and at 90 degrees got 3166fps. No pressure signs at all. At 75 degrees, I recorded an SD of only 5.09 and ES of only 10.84! This is one absolutely amazing round! As you have guessed, everyone is shooting the starting loads and getting awesome results! I liked RL19 because I think it has a lower flame temp than H4350 and is easier to find, shoots lights out in my 2 rifles.
Your rig looks awesome! Wll be super in the 6 Creed! Dang, now I may have to look into the 22 version! I did take my 6 PD shootin in S.D. last year and it was sooo much fun! Should be fine on deer and lopes too. If you can drop lopes with the 22 Creed, the 6 will do just fine.

When I was developing a load it grouped best at 41.5 grains. Went up some more, half grain, and the groups opened so I just went back to what grouped best. R16 does have copper fouling eraser in it. The powder is bulky and fills up the case about half way up the shoulder.
Haven't noticed any signs of pressure in my gun but my thoughts are this load is close to max.
Hope this helps
Larry
Thank You, CCC

The 6mm CM has become a favorite of mine...
Love that cartridge! Started with Hornady Black ammo with the 105bthp. My 26", 8 twist would shoot sub 1/2MOA all the time. Set up seater die to same length as factory and locked it in! Now, with 41.ish gr. of RL 19 and the 108ELDs, I'm running over 3160fps and grouping under 1/2MOA all the way to 500yds. Seems to be no matter which powder you use, the magic is at 41.0 to 41.5 gr. I shot at 75 degrees and got 3061fps, and at 90 degrees got 3166fps. No pressure signs at all. At 75 degrees, I recorded an SD of only 5.09 and ES of only 10.84! This is one absolutely amazing round! As you have guessed, everyone is shooting the starting loads and getting awesome results! I liked RL19 because I think it has a lower flame temp than H4350 and is easier to find, shoots lights out in my 2 rifles.
Your rig looks awesome! Wll be super in the 6 Creed! Dang, now I may have to look into the 22 version! I did take my 6 PD shootin in S.D. last year and it was sooo much fun! Should be fine on deer and lopes too. If you can drop lopes with the 22 Creed, the 6 will do just fine.

I am enjoying this cartridge as well...

With a new, never fired barrel (1-7, 26") and after taking five shots to zero my scope...

I shot the next 10 rounds out of my pick-up with bi-pod and rear bag...Sierra 110 @ 3016 fps...

110 sierra.jpg

Working up through more RL26 and Wolf large rifle mag primers and Starline brass...

I shot this...@ 3078 fps with the 110 Sierras...About 35 rounds on the new barrel...

110 Sierra 1.jpg

Switched to the 115 HVLD Bergers for the next 50 rounds...

The last of original first 100 rounds through this barrel was this 10 shot group...yes I pulled one...

Ave fps of the of the 115 Bergers was 3100 fps...
115 Berger.jpg

All at a lased 101 yards and a Magnetospeed on the end of my barrel...

Last edited:
Ordered my barrel Monday from NSS. James is great. 28in. 1in7 criterion fluted with APA little bastard brake. Got a scope here for it. Now only the 8-10 week wait for the barrel. I have 800+ rounds of hornady 6.5 creedmoor brass sitting here. I will buy a couple bushing for my redding die. If that don't seem to work how I want I will have to try some alpha brass. Wish it was 8-10 days instead of weeks. I'm excited for this rifle.

Ordered my barrel Monday from NSS. James is great. 28in. 1in7 criterion fluted with APA little bastard brake. Got a scope here for it. Now only the 8-10 week wait for the barrel. I have 800+ rounds of hornady 6.5 creedmoor brass sitting here. I will buy a couple bushing for my redding die. If that don't seem to work how I want I will have to try some alpha brass. Wish it was 8-10 days instead of weeks. I'm excited for this rifle.

If you got that barrel in the "match" version, that is the identical barrel that I am shooting above. But it is the 26" barrel and it is also from NSS...and also using the same muzzle brake. You will really like this barrel, cartridge...it is a whoot to shoot...

I have had good luck with Hornady 6mm creed brass. Here is a 10 shot group with 5x fired Hornady.

View attachment 109758
Hornady brass works. I'm on 5,6,7 firings with some of my 6.5 Creed. The issue with Hornady brass is the primer pockets get loose, when you run high pressure loads, long before the rest of the case is ready to fail. But for the price of a 100 bag from Midsouth, that is the price of a 50 box everywhere else, use the Hornady! That being said, I also use Starline and Peterson too. The Peterson is top quality brass and Starline is good stuff too, I'm on 5 firings and have yet to trim it yet.

For my soon to be put together 6 Creedmoor (got my X-Caliber barrel last week), I have a 100 lot of Hornady and 2/100 lots of Starline, both in LRP.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.