6mm Creedmoor Subsonic?

parshal

Can anyone point me to a source for subsonic data for the 6mm Creedmoor? I'm currently shooting Berger hybrids and VLDs at around 3050 in my 22" bbl. I've got a suppressor on the way and would like to find a usable sub-100 yard subsonic load for coyotes around the house.

Last edited:
Some calibers are just not designed for subsonic use. QL couldn't come up with anything using the heaviest bullet in QL database for the .264- the Hornady's 160gr RN bullet. Maybe something exists... Couldn't tell you.

Use this as a very good reason to get a .300 blkout????

Oh, I'm thinking of a blackout just because it'd be cool. By the way, I'm talking about the 6 Creedmoor not the 6.5.

I talked to Copper Creek and they will come up with a load. He said it seems like a cool project. We'd have to use a 58 or 65 grain bullet in order to stabilize it with a standard 1-8 twist. It would only use 3 grains of powder so it would have to have some sort of fill and maybe the flash hole drilled to get good ignition. I think I'd rather let them take care of development. Once you buy 100 rounds they'd give you the load data. Development isn't cheap but then I don't think I'm willing to tinker that much with the development he's talking about.

100 yard retained energy is only about 120 ft lbs so shot placement would be very important if shooting a coyote. It would be a pretty cool load to just shoot in the yard for target practice if it's not got enough oompf to take out a yote.

I found this and wanted to see if anyone has been able to run their 6.5 subsonic? I would like to try to run mine subsonic but I have found that there is a lot of mixed data if you can produce a load that is accurate and subsonic. Any info is greatly appreciated.

I think the problem lies with case capacity. The more capacity the more difficult to load subsonic without the chance of a secondary explosion effect.

Ive heard of guys filling a small number of cases with epoxy except, the flash hole, a small cylinder in the center, and the neck. Effectively reducing the capacity of the case. Then using these few cases for subsonic loads. Ive never tried it but it sounds logical.

6 grains of Trail Boss with the 75 grain Sierra is certainly subsonic in my 6 Creed. I just giggle every time I pull the trigger. It's a hoot!

My bet is you will not be happy with the results if you want true subsonic, accuracy and stability and yet spent a good bit of money. I have seen too many others try to go down similar routes and not happy with the results.
However trailboss is the powder to try.

I would recommend looking at the costs and compare to a 8 twist black out.

Mine (3) run moa or less and a measured 84 db at muzzle with a liberty victory magnum suppressor. You cannot hear it at all 50ft behind the shooter.

I can run 125 Btips at 2350 and 240 SMKS at just over 1000. Both moa and only 3 inches difference in POI at 100.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.