6mm creedmoor or .243 win?

E4C53A21-6E8D-4DD1-82BC-7F48BD214CC0.jpeg
A coyote can't tell the difference between a.243 and a 6cm. If you have everything to build a .243 and don't want to take the effort to build a new caliber by all means stick with the .243.
I got the want to build a 6mm so I read everything I could about the 6cm and decided to build one based on the fact the case is shorter and bullets can be loaded farther out and still fit in a short action.
I bought an old Remington 700 22-250 varmint model. Ordered a Rock 6mm 7.5 twist bbl and a McMillan stock. Put a break on and now have a gun that is so accurate to is almost boring to shoot.
I shoot 105gr Matrix. And use a NF 5.5-22.

It's a wash. If you reload the advantage goes to the Creed due to the fact that you don't have trim brass nearly as often and it takes less powder. Wouldn't worry about it being 20". I bet you'll still get close to 3000fps. There's a couple threads around here of people with 20" 243s. The 243 is still an absolutely capable round. So don't let any hype sway you. George Gardner of GA Precision shoots one.

Just a thought-

Because of your 20 inch barrel requirements why not consider a hotter cartridge. 243AI or 6x284. After that you could look in to mag bolt face.

If your looking to buy ammo off the shelf then all of that is out of the question.

I was faced with a choice between the 2 you mentioned. I went with the creedmoor and am very pleased. I assume you reload, 105 gr. does a number on feral hogs. deer and speed goats, yotes as well. brass and other components easy to find. Browning X bolt hunter for me

It won't do you any good, with the pile of components and options you've got, but you can get either of these cartridges in a Barrett Fieldcraft. Either is 5.2 pounds, 1:7 twist, and available with an 18" threaded barrel or 21" standard. Just mention it because your options are all leaning toward a similar result.

Well guys I am old and old school, I shoot 2 different loads though my 243's. I can push a 70 grain with a just under max load of Ramshot Hunter just over 3800 fps that will crush any yote or white tail with a well placed shot, next, a 90 grain Sierra Game Changer (.490 BC) with just .5 under max of AA4350 at just over 3300 fps. Check your numbers and charts and the 6 cm will not touch either of these loads for flat trajectory or energy. Not trying to start an argument but facts are facts. I guess I will go to my grave happy with my 243's and do not plan on owning a 6cm. Happy Hunting

Well guys I am old and old school, I shoot 2 different loads though my 243's. I can push a 70 grain with a just under max load of Ramshot Hunter just over 3800 fps that will crush any yote or white tail with a well placed shot, next, a 90 grain Sierra Game Changer (.490 BC) with just .5 under max of AA4350 at just over 3300 fps. Check your numbers and charts and the 6 cm will not touch either of these loads for flat trajectory or energy. Not trying to start an argument but facts are facts. I guess I will go to my grave happy with my 243's and do not plan on owning a 6cm. Happy Hunting

I think the only advantage the 6CM has is faster twist barrels in factory rifles that will stabilize the heavies like the ELDMs and the Matchkings. If you are building a custom, the 6CM will have no advantage over the 243. It is the same advantage the 6.5CM has over the 260Rem.

I was faced with a choice between the 2 you mentioned. I went with the creedmoor and am very pleased. I assume you reload, 105 gr. does a number on feral hogs. deer and speed goats, yotes as well. brass and other components easy to find. Browning X bolt hunter for me

Not to distract the OP's thread.

But what kind of accuracy you getting from the Browning X-bolt in 6CM? I'm looking for a new rifle and the Hells Canyon is on my list in the 6CM.

Just a thought-

Because of your 20 inch barrel requirements why not consider a hotter cartridge. 243AI or 6x284. After that you could look in to mag bolt face.
I'm not worried about MV that much, if I can get 28-2900 FPS out of either I think I'll be fine for my needs. If you look at wind correction numbers a 103-105 grain hunting bullet is still pretty respectable at 600 yards at those speeds.

you can get either of these cartridges in a Barrett Fieldcraft. Either is 5.2 pounds, 1:7 twist, and available with an 18" threaded barrel

I thought on the Fieldcraft but at around $1800 for either of the threaded 18" options after fees, I think I can do Howa for less than $800, and I can build a Remington for around $11-1200. The Remington build would actually cost a little more than the Fieldcraft in the end, but I've had most the parts since 3-4 years collecting dust so they've been paid for years ago. I just figure that leaves me a better optics budget as well down the road not buying the Fieldcraft.

I'm not worried about MV that much, if I can get 28-2900 FPS out of either I think I'll be fine for my needs. If you look at wind correction numbers a 103-105 grain hunting bullet is still pretty respectable at 600 yards at those speeds.

I thought on the Fieldcraft but at around $1800 for either of the threaded 18" options after fees, I think I can do Howa for less than $800, and I can build a Remington for around $11-1200. The Remington build would actually cost a little more than the Fieldcraft in the end, but I've had most the parts since 3-4 years collecting dust so they've been paid for years ago. I just figure that leaves me a better optics budget as well down the road not buying the Fieldcraft.

And a $10 spring makes the Howa trigger near perfect. No need for a $115 to $300 after market trigger.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.