6mm Creedmoor Load Data Help

ncwg2boatguy

Ok. Looking to try my Ruger American Preditor for VA whitetail.
Setup-
Its a 24" Heavy barrel
1:7.7 twist from factory
I will be shooting inside 400yds for the most part inside 250yds. I was wondering about the Hornady SST line of bullets but get conflicting stories of devistating meat loss from wound cavity.
Inside 400yds No need for mega B.C bullets im thinking but ..Your thoughts?
Powders I have-
H4350
IMR 4350
H4831
IMR 4831
and many others.

Never used any SSTs.

Not sure what load for the 115 VLDs. You could ask Berger. Perhaps someone will post here.

Those eastern deer are big and tough. Based on the distance you are considering, a 95 or 100 gr nosler partition might be a good choice. It will hold together and most certainly exit at most angles.

Be sure to let us know what you loaded and how the bullet choice worked on your deer this year.

I set up the Ruger American P in 6 Creed this year for a light weight carry rifle. We have been hunting high country muleys in the wilderness this year on a special draw trophy tag and I did not want to carry my 14 lb long range rifle. I wanted to set up this rifle for 500y and in. I figure that if I am truly trophy hunting I need to be within 500y to get a good look at the animal.

I could have run a heavier bullet but chose the 88g Hammer Hunter given the yardage that I was setting the rifle up for I opted for higher impact vel and flatter trajectory. With the 88g Hammer Hunter I am getting 3326fps. This will carry 1800fps to 800y at 3000' elev and still have 2300fps at 500y. With a 345y max point blank range zero I am good to 400y and maintain a 5" radius poi. 400y with no adjustment to the hold on a deer...pretty cool! I am enjoying carrying this little rifle so much that I am intending to use it on elk this year.

Here is my load.

Hornady brass, WLRM primer, 88g Hammer Hunter on 46g H4350. Loaded to mag length. Average vel of 3326fps with an sd of 5.9fps I started my load work up at 43g and a vel of 3080fps. As always work up to this as it is a max load.

Steve

I'm using 47gr of reloader 26,cci200 primers, Hornady brass behind 115gr dtacsin my ruger predator getting 3100fps... low es and sd's... very accurate...
Don't know what dtacs would be like for killing deer but take a look at reloader 26 for the heavy for caliber bullets in the 6mm creed....

Orch

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts