6mm Creedmoor issue

Anybody ever think that the person doing the numbers had dyslexia and the numbers are bass ackwards? Call Hornady and see if it's a misprint. You can see there is very little of the bearing surface in the case at the book length.

Anybody ever think that the person doing the numbers had dyslexia and the numbers are bass ackwards? Call Hornady and see if it's a misprint. You can see there is very little of the bearing surface in the case at the book length.
That's what I thought when I was loading them. But, I double checked the length in the book and the number seemed reasonable given my experience with the 6.5.
FWIW the 6mm Remington seats the same bullet .138" deeper comparatively.

Those Berger's may be just off the Carbon build up also and is why they're chambering so much better. The ogive is probably set back a little further. You should measure the ogive variance between the Hornady and the Berger loaded rounds.
I did. Thought I mentioned that in one of my post. The CBTO delta is ~ .014" less in the Berger.

I think there are 2 things going on here. First of all, if you check the diameter of the Berger bullets, I bet you find the are .0005" smaller. So the Hornady are probably. 243 and the Berger are probably. 2425. Secondly, I will almost guarantee you have carbon build-up in the throat. It may not actually be a ring yet, but I bet if you soak the throat area with carbon remover and brush it well, use stiff nylon not bronze brush, you will see a lot of carbon come out and your bullets will fit better in the chamber.
Your bet was correct BTW. I did get around to measuring them (with 3 different caliber)
Berger. .2425
Hornady. .2430

still working on this dammed carbon ring. (Way easier on the gas guns)

No here is the product. If you use it regularly to clean your rifle you won't have a carbon problem to solve latter. https://sharpshootr.com/tactical-advantage/
Seems very similar to the wipeout that I have. This stuff looks to be a more concentrated formula based on the article I read. Must be strong if you can dilute it by 30-50% and it dissolves carbon.

The stuff is like Wipe-Out but with a carbon cleaner added I use it regularly with all my rifles and have no carbon problems. It is the same price as Wipe-Out. I find that Wipe-Out does work better on Copper alone. So sometimes I clean the powder fouling out with Tactical and then switch to Wipe-Out when I get down to the copper.

My Savage 6 MM Creed is totally opposite. With a 107gr Nosler HPBT Custom Comp bullet measures 2.775" CBTO seated at the lans. Bullet OAL is 1.2265" and BTO .6820" with the boat tail measuring .1750". I have always used seating depth into the neck should equal bullet diameter or close?
In the case of my rifle to seat the bullets into the case neck .2430" that would be an CBTO of 2.179" which if my calculations are correct .0985 off of the lans.
I have about 100 rounds down the pipe shooting mostly these 107 gr'ers with pretty decent accuracy (.25-.50 MOA) I have been loading everything 20-30 thousands off the lans, but I am only shooting off the bench for now. I would not trust seating bullets this shallow into the neck for hunting? If I were to seat bullets .050 off the lans I would be seating .200 into the neck, which I feel is acceptable to stabilize loading from magazine into the chamber.
Now talking with others about the 6 Creed is that they are seating .070 off the lans and even .100 and getting good accuracy. This tells me the cartridge likes jump? This has never been my experience before seating that far off the lans?? I am currently heading in this direction to find out?

Your bet was correct BTW. I did get around to measuring them (with 3 different caliber)
Berger. .2425
Hornady. .2430

Berger. .2425
Hornady. .2430

Well thats good to hear. I recently switched from Hornady to Berger in my 6.5 PRC, and started seeing more and more carbon in the throat area. Turns out that the 6.5 bullets are also .0005" smaller on the Berger. I'm sure there is a reason, but I don't know what it is.

If you want to take out the carbon ring get some CLR, $10 at canadian tire will get you a lifetime supply. It will take care of carbon better than all the gun specific cleaners.

If you want to take out the carbon ring get some CLR, $10 at canadian tire will get you a lifetime supply. It will take care of carbon better than all the gun specific cleaners.
CLR is the best that ive found for removing stubborn hard carbon. I just used it today to clean a muzzle brake that you couldnt chip the carbon with a chisel.

That being said.....Be careful with it near any "blued" surfaces it will take off bluing in minutes. Always rinse & neutralize it with water or rubbing alcohol when finished cleaning the part.

Just a word of caution.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.