6mm Creedmoor Brass

bsfl

Hello, I am new to reloading and have a basic question about the best process for necking down brass.

I am making 6mm Creedmoor from 6.5 Creedmoor Lapua brass. In the first instance necking down brass, is it best to remove the expander ball from my FL die to neck down and then use an expanding mandrel die to even out inside neck thickness or just run it through the FL die with expander ball for the first loading? This is in a no-turn neck chamber.

Any further explanation of individual processes for necking down brass would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Well, I use bushing dies for all my wildcats. I have heard of guys doing the sizing in a single pass. Some folks don't recommend sizing down more than .010 per step. You are looking at about .021 for your sizing .264 to .243, (I think). If you have the bushing die, why aren't you using it? When I started doing wildcats I tried doing big steps in down sizing and ended up ruining some precious Lapua brass. I know the bushings are a little pricey but, I feel that is the best way to go. Lapua brass as we all know run a little thick in the neck. So, that in itself could cause ruining a neck with one-step sizing. Unless you have turned the neck. Oh, for what it's worth...I never use the expanding ball during the sizing process. When finished, I do run all the brass through an expander mandrel.

Thank you for your response. My only reasoning for not using the bushing die for the initial re-sizing is that the internet says a bushing die does not size the entire neck but I appreciate individual experience advice. The cost of a bushing isn't much when comparing to the investment in a setup.

I would run one pass with 6 creed FL sizer with all die internals removed. Last step I run a Sinclair NT mandrel in an expander die through all the brass which is .002 under bullet diameter and then go shoot it. Do same process for 6x47 using 6.5x47 and it turns out perfect. After this first sizing is complete and your brass is formed u are good to press on with bushing Neck sizing or whatever other method u prefer.

May I ask why the NT mandrel .002" under caliber versus the expander mandrel which is .001" under caliber?

I size from 6.5 down to 22Creedmoor in one pass thru my Whidden FL die. So far tried Lapua,Federal, Starline and Hornady 6.5 all worked smooth as butter. Now that being said when I tried with bushings had to do it n two steps and then deal with the doughnuts later.

Fired cases to Whidden to get die made?

No he used reamer from my smith Horizon Firearms.
Another important note taking down in one step works with new unfired brass.... fired brass will need to be stepped down

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.