6mm Creedmoor all range coyote load

I shoot 75gr Vmax in my 6-284 and they are definitely, NOT, a fur friendly bullet, but boy do they sure make em DRT!

This 6mm CM I'm going to have built will wear a 20 inch 9tw Proof Research barrel and I think the 70gr Nosler Ballistic Tip will be my first choice and I'll be using RL16 to drive them. Hopefully it shoots well.

My go to 6mm bullet is the Berger 95 gr. VLD, in the 6 CM and 243 Win. I've shot coyotes with both calibers and bullets will exit, but pelt damage is minimal.
This summer I've been working on loads for both calibers using the 55 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip. Velocities are right at 4000 fps and the bullets normally don't exit with a body hit. The only problem I've had is if you hit them in a bony area like the head or spine. The bone fragments can blow a good size hole.

Thanks for the info everyone. I picked up some 70gr ballistic tips and 95gr VLDs the other day. I started load development with the 95gr VLDs. I figured they should be a happy medium (as far as long range/ close range fur damage) between the 70gr ballistic tip and 105VLD.

I did a seating depth ladder test. The bullets bearing suface is so small, it was only about 1/3 of the way down the neck of the case when touching the lands. So I just seated the bullet to where about 2/3 of the neck was grabbing the bullet. I then made two more loads seating .020" deeper each time. The last load had pretty much the whole neck grabbing the bullet.

My problem is... the rifle likes the first load. It produced a .4" group. Do you think a bullet seated only 2/3 down the neck will stay concentric without being kicked over by the feed ramps? Obviously it didn't affect this group, and I was feeding from the magazine. But if I were to run the bolt hard for a follow up shot?... IDK... have any of you run into this using the smaller bullets?

Thanks

You all might want to look at the 95 TMK from sierra...running at 3300 from a 26" CM using sierra's "accuracy load" with RL16. Quarter sized exit at 70 yards. it's got a better BC than the 87 VMAX and performs almost exactly the same. Kind of a sleeper. Oh wait..it's a match bullet.
290D37DB-4477-4228-BAEF-AD7ACA96A57D.jpeg

Old thread but I've recently just whacked a few dogs with the 80 grain barns tsx. Pencil hole in and dime sized exit on all 3. All 3 were shot broadside and all 3 were drt. Ranges were, 110, 130 and 400 yards. Really happy with the results, also works amazingly on whitetail so it's a win win!!!

Sounds like your educating the coyotes.. Call them and they will come closer
Not sure if this comment was to me or not.... the average ranges we generally shoot them are 200 plus yards. I am in upstate NY and a lot of the fields we hunt are not huge like our west. Our fields are also surrounded by heavily wooded areas that the dogs tend to stay in. Very rarely will they exit the tree line to the field so that's where we tend to take our shots. It also makes for a huge problem with any wind to setup properly as the dogs always come in downwind of the calls and our wind is usually always changing direction. Perhaps we should not take those shots and let them wind us and figure it out? Is that what you're implying?

Hey all, I'm usually in the big game hunting conversations on this website, but my year round hobby is coyote hunting. I use a 204 ruger with benchmark, topped with a 39gr blitzking. This is the most fur friendly coyote load I've found, that still has knock down power at 400 yards, out of a 204 ruger. However, I have a lot of coyotes hang up at 600 to 800 yards. At those ranges the little 204 bullet just starts to float with the wind.

I'm wanting to step up my game and still be able to poke at the probably 3 out of 10 coyotes I see, who don't come in to the call but come just close enough to investigate (600 to 800).

I have a 6mm Creedmore in a ruger precision, topped with a US Optics ER-25 that I use for PRS. I'm shooting a 108gr eld-m. Love the rifle, caliber, bullet combo. I'm just worried if I start using it for coyotes, I'm going to blow up the 7 out of 10 yotes that do come in to close range. Anyone out there using a 6mm bullet that is somewhat fur friendly at 100 yards. But will also carry the energy and fight wind enough to take a yote at 800? I've thought about the 70gr v max, all the nosler ballistic tips, 88 (I think its 88)gr berger, or using the 95 gr tipped matchking. I'm just worried the ones under 70gr won't carry the energy to long range, or fight wind, and the ones over 80gr will blow a softball size exit hole at close range.... anyone have a happy medium?

Thanks
I shot a small coyote at 100 yards using an 87 vmax. Everything in the rib cage was blown out. 3000 fps.

The eldx doesn't blow them up like the eldm does. Still has a good BC to fight the wind for those longer shots....I actually switched from 204 to 6mm CM as my primary coyote rifle a year ago. Best decision I ever made. Mine is a bergara premier approach with a VX5HD 3-15x56. Its been a lethal combination.

View attachment 156300
How do you like that scope? Got one on the way.