6mm Creedmoor all range coyote load

Badgerclaw

Hey all, I'm usually in the big game hunting conversations on this website, but my year round hobby is coyote hunting. I use a 204 ruger with benchmark, topped with a 39gr blitzking. This is the most fur friendly coyote load I've found, that still has knock down power at 400 yards, out of a 204 ruger. However, I have a lot of coyotes hang up at 600 to 800 yards. At those ranges the little 204 bullet just starts to float with the wind.

I'm wanting to step up my game and still be able to poke at the probably 3 out of 10 coyotes I see, who don't come in to the call but come just close enough to investigate (600 to 800).

I have a 6mm Creedmore in a ruger precision, topped with a US Optics ER-25 that I use for PRS. I'm shooting a 108gr eld-m. Love the rifle, caliber, bullet combo. I'm just worried if I start using it for coyotes, I'm going to blow up the 7 out of 10 yotes that do come in to close range. Anyone out there using a 6mm bullet that is somewhat fur friendly at 100 yards. But will also carry the energy and fight wind enough to take a yote at 800? I've thought about the 70gr v max, all the nosler ballistic tips, 88 (I think its 88)gr berger, or using the 95 gr tipped matchking. I'm just worried the ones under 70gr won't carry the energy to long range, or fight wind, and the ones over 80gr will blow a softball size exit hole at close range.... anyone have a happy medium?

Thanks

Hey all, I'm usually in the big game hunting conversations on this website, but my year round hobby is coyote hunting. I use a 204 ruger with benchmark, topped with a 39gr blitzking. This is the most fur friendly coyote load I've found, that still has knock down power at 400 yards, out of a 204 ruger. However, I have a lot of coyotes hang up at 600 to 800 yards. At those ranges the little 204 bullet just starts to float with the wind.

I'm wanting to step up my game and still be able to poke at the probably 3 out of 10 coyotes I see, who don't come in to the call but come just close enough to investigate (600 to 800).

I have a 6mm Creedmore in a ruger precision, topped with a US Optics ER-25 that I use for PRS. I'm shooting a 108gr eld-m. Love the rifle, caliber, bullet combo. I'm just worried if I start using it for coyotes, I'm going to blow up the 7 out of 10 yotes that do come in to close range. Anyone out there using a 6mm bullet that is somewhat fur friendly at 100 yards. But will also carry the energy and fight wind enough to take a yote at 800? I've thought about the 70gr v max, all the nosler ballistic tips, 88 (I think its 88)gr berger, or using the 95 gr tipped matchking. I'm just worried the ones under 70gr won't carry the energy to long range, or fight wind, and the ones over 80gr will blow a softball size exit hole at close range.... anyone have a happy medium?

Thanks
105bergers are really wonderful! I had the same dilemna althoigh my range was 500 ish. The bergers leave a small hole. I shoot the 6x47 and have been very happy with them close and long range!

I also shoot 20 cal and 6mm creed for coyotes. Personally I'd probably call hammer as well and get there thoughts. I shoot the 105 hybrids and it made a pretty good mess of the last coyote at around 100 yards.

you've been happy with the 39gr blitz on fur? I think your the first person to say that lol. I've been shooting them cause they are so accurate and better at distance but definitely have not found them fur friendly. Picked up 35gr Bergers as I heard they are amazingly fur friendly!

Sierra 70 grain Blitz King. Only shot one with it, about 75 yards, coming straight in, center chest, no exit. Good enough to life size. Broad side may have a different result.

Thanks
The eldx doesn't blow them up like the eldm does. Still has a good BC to fight the wind for those longer shots....I actually switched from 204 to 6mm CM as my primary coyote rifle a year ago. Best decision I ever made. Mine is a bergara premier approach with a VX5HD 3-15x56. Its been a lethal combination.

A49D006C-74E7-4036-A9E0-FA411323C079.jpeg

Last edited:
For this 6 CM build I'm wanting to do, since I won't be shooting the 105+ grainers in it I was going to go with something like a 9 twist.

Is anyone else shooting varmints with the 70-80 grainers in a 6 CM and what twist are you using???

I also shoot 20 cal and 6mm creed for coyotes. Personally I'd probably call hammer as well and get there thoughts. I shoot the 105 hybrids and it made a pretty good mess of the last coyote at around 100 yards.

you've been happy with the 39gr blitz on fur? I think your the first person to say that lol. I've been shooting them cause they are so accurate and better at distance but definitely have not found them fur friendly. Picked up 35gr Bergers as I heard they are amazingly fur friendly!
Yeah I've blown up a few, but not as much as when I was shooting the 32 and 40gr v max. It seams if i poke em through the ribs or head on, i will usually have a very small exit. Just don't hit the shoulder or spine haha. Accuracy is phonomanal.

As far as 6mm, I do have some 105 hybrids... maybe ill give them a shot

The eldx doesn't blow them up like the eldm does. Still has a good BC to fight the wind for those longer shots....I actually switched from 204 to 6mm CM as my primary coyote rifle a year ago. Best decision I ever made. Mine is a bergara premier approach with a VX5HD 3-15x56. Its been a lethal combination.

View attachment 156299 View attachment 156300
I've thought about the eldx. They swam more finicky as far as accuracy goes when compared to the eldm... at least in my 7mm and 30 cal rifles. What grain eldx are you using?

Been thinking about building a 20in 6 Creedmoor to shoot the 70gr Nosler Ballistic Tip.

With RL16 I'd think 3500fps maybe, without standing on it to hard.
I have a buddy who used to shoot coyotes with a 25-06 topped with 100gr ballistic tips. He said you will always have an exit, but it won't be the massive exit like other 25cal bullets. That made me think the 6mm ballistic tips have to be more fur friendly? Something I've been tossing around as well. Let me know how it works if you try it!

I've thought about the eldx. They swam more finicky as far as accuracy goes when compared to the eldm... at least in my 7mm and 30 cal rifles. What grain eldx are you using?
103gr. Accuracy has been just as good as the 108eldms for me. Also likes the 105gr bergers. My gun hasn't been very picky. Shoots the factory ammo as good as my handloads - 1/4-1/2 moa no matter what I feed it. I havent messed with any of the lighter bullets since I bought this gun to shoot heavies.

Yep small hole is needed for these west of Mississippi River coyotes. coyote pelts and bobcat pelts are the only thing fur buyer is paying anything for. Helps buy ammo and gas. Last year ND Freind averaged $75.00 for coyotes skinned and stretched with 1 hole stitched up on them. When bullet comes out price went down to $30.00. But you have to kill them in the wind to sale them. Ha ha ha. MD

I have two 6mm Creedmoors and also like to hunt coyotes. I've killed about 100 coyotes in the last couple years so I have a good idea of what different bullets do on coyotes. I don't think there is a perfect bullet for both long range (600+ yards) and close range coyotes. For the moment I've settled on the 80gr nosler ballistic tip. It still shoots ok at long range in wind, has good terminal performance for killing coyotes at all ranges. I've shot a couple coyotes with it at less than 100 yards. Overall I think it is a good bullet for coyotes but you will occasionally get fur damage. I think the 87gr Vmax would be a good option but they don't shoot as well in my guns. I've shot a few coyotes with 115gr Berger's and that is not a fur friendly bullet. The monolithic bullets like Barnes or hammers would probably be a decent option for fur friendly but I like the "shock" and instant drops that varmit type bullets like vmax or ballistic tips provide.