6mm creed or 6.5 creed?

Still seems like, there is something loose?

I had a POI change with a completely new build, this past weekend, after it's 3rd outing. I pulled out the torque wrench and all was was good again, except the forward ring cap screws on one side, had not "settled in", shall we say, problem found. I always try and use the same parts on my rifles, if possible, and this was odd?!
Sometimes you just have to triple check your own work...just sayin'.

Everyone has mentioned action screws but is your scope base or rings loose? If all that checks out the muzzle device could've been over torqued too but if that's the case cutting it back a little would fix it. Or maybe you just stumbled upon the proper configuration regarding barrel mass to throw the harmonics off. who knows

It all gets complicated because the action came out of the stock and, if I read it correctly, he pulled the barrel from the action. That means headspace had to be set again, torque on the barrel nut could be a little more or less than before, then the action going back into the stock tighter or looser can induce changes. Perhaps the scope was even pulled out of it's rings to allow the barrel nut wrench access to torque things together? There are several areas of potential 'change' from before the threading, to include more or less torque on the scope rings (if the scope was pulled.) I'm hoping the 'smith touches up the crown and all goes back to normal with this gun. Looks like it was a real shooter before all this!

It all gets complicated because the action came out of the stock and, if I read it correctly, he pulled the barrel from the action. That means headspace had to be set again, torque on the barrel nut could be a little more or less than before, then the action going back into the stock tighter or looser can induce changes. Perhaps the scope was even pulled out of it's rings to allow the barrel nut wrench access to torque things together? There are several areas of potential 'change' from before the threading, to include more or less torque on the scope rings (if the scope was pulled.) I'm hoping the 'smith touches up the crown and all goes back to normal with this gun. Looks like it was a real shooter before all this!
It was a hammer before all this happened. It's like the light switch got turned off. Yes barrel was off for threading and I've had the scope off as well. I've double and triple checked absolutely everything. I've run out of options which is why I sent the rifle to him to look at. I wanted to make sure everything on my end was good

Who set the headspace on this barrel initially?
Did the gunsmith set the headspace with brass or gauges?
I let a gunsmith set my headspace once and he screwed it all up.

I set my own headspace. Originally with headspace guages but this last time I used a piece of brass
Creedmore shooter, am I reading this correct? Originally, you set the headspace with a gauge, and it shot great, and this last time, you set it with a shell, and it shoots horrible. Have I got that correct ?

Creedmore shooter, am I reading this correct? Originally, you set the headspace with a gauge, and it shot great, and this last time, you set it with a shell, and it shoots horrible. Have I got that correct ?
You do have that correct. I originally rented my headspace guages because I didnt think I'd ever have the barrel off again. According to my measurements I'm only off .004 from my original headspace.

Well sir, I submit this is the difference. Used to shoot great, now it doesn't. Maybe go back to the gauge, it might shoot great again.

Nothing like randomness to make a problem more fun to troubleshoot, ha! Vertical, horizontal, and none of it good compared to where you were before threading the barrel. Let's hope your gunsmith is able to sort out what's new (and wrong) and can get you fixed up. Should be lot's of life left in that barrel if you can just get things back to the way they were.
You know the old adage "If it an"t broke it don't need fixin" ! I'm sorry for your troubles, and perhaps sometimes to much of a good thing is way to much! I.M.H.O not trying to crack wise but perhaps you should have waited to make any adjustments until you really did need them. By prematurely making alterations before they were actually needed even though you had the best of intentions may have been your own undoing .
I for one certainly have been in the same boat a time or two myself !
I hope that you are able to get to the root cause of your problem and have it corrected in very short order. Again I know how stressful and aggravating this came be. Best of luck with your repairs !

Hey guys, I've been running a criterion 6.5 creed barrel for awhile now. Roughly 1200 rounds down the pipe. I had it threaded at about 1050-1100 rounds and it hasnt been the same. I thought I had it figured out but I just cant get this thing to shoot to save my life. It went from sub .5 moa groups to over moa just about over night. I'm thinking he got the barrel too hot when he threaded it. I'm hoping to take it back to him tonight and see what he thinks. If a new barrel is in order I'm thinking about jumping over to 6mm creed. I just used up the last of my 6.5 bullets so I'm starting from scratch anyway. Im sure we could chop some of the barrel off but I dont know what that is going to cost and since I'm halfway through the barrel life as it is I'm not sure it's worth it. This rifles main purpose is targets and occasionally whitetail hunting. I shot to 1450 yards with my 6.5 barrel so I'd like to be able to shoot atleast that far. I'm also hoping to get into prs next summer time and money permitting. What do you 6mm guys usually see for barrel life? Pros and cons of each? Tell me what you guys think. Is it worth jumping over to 6mm?
Having owned both, I got rid of the 6.5 Creedmoor after purchasing a 6mm Creedmoor.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts