6mm creed, 243 win or 243 wssm

rgvt4

I've only had a 243wssm and like it a lot did great on deer. I got rid of it because it was a right handed rifle and I switched to all left-handed bolts. Thinking of getting another one but factory ammo is a little harder to find as I don't reload.

I think that is a great round. Don't know why its not more popular. Should be a great medium long range round with the heavy bullets. But I think you would get the most potential out of it if you reloaded. It seems like brass is easy to get. Are you thinking about a custom build?

Man I have a soft spot for the old .243.
The 6 creed is very tempting though. If it was me I would do the .243 win. The simple fact is you ah e more ammo choices for it. Hornady makes match ammo for the creed but what if you gun doesn't like it as much. For example my friend was just getting into shooting and wasn't sure what he wanted. I recommend the .243win and he can do varmit to big game by just selecting a different bullet. After some time at the range and several different boxes ammo he settled on the 95gr sst and had a moa fun. Then one day he bought a box of Winchester combined tech and had a sub.75" gun at 100 yards very consistently.
Also if you decide to get into reloading in say a year or so you can have the .243win cut into a .243AI and really have a screaming round.

Snox801 is right about the old 243 it is probably your best choice of the 3 your thinking about. You will always be able to find a good selection of ammo for it and its a proven round with lots of factory rifles made.It just seems so old compared to the other 2 rounds you listed. Short fat is cool and the creed is hot right now. But 243 win. will always be here.

Man I have a soft spot for the old .243.
The 6 creed is very tempting though. If it was me I would do the .243 win. The simple fact is you ah e more ammo choices for it. Hornady makes match ammo for the creed but what if you gun doesn't like it as much. For example my friend was just getting into shooting and wasn't sure what he wanted. I recommend the .243win and he can do varmit to big game by just selecting a different bullet. After some time at the range and several different boxes ammo he settled on the 95gr sst and had a moa fun. Then one day he bought a box of Winchester combined tech and had a sub.75" gun at 100 yards very consistently.
Also if you decide to get into reloading in say a year or so you can have the .243win cut into a .243AI and really have a screaming round.

I have an old bdl in 243. It is my wifes deer rifle. A friend wanted to borrow it for his son. I don't like lending reloads to people so off to Cabellas and buy Federal blue box 100 gr. It shot cloverleafs and I went back and bought 10 boxes and have not reloaded for that for over ten years. His second son uses it now.

Don't forget 6x47L or 6XC. I shoot with an absolute ton of guys using fast 6mm's and I use some myself in competition. We've kinda sauced out the GB&U. Note about barrel life, the figures below are based on when the boat tail gets sucked up inside the neck while chasing the lands. If you don't chase the lands then barrel life expectations should be reduced.

Fast 6's for the most part love the slowest of powders and nice long tubes. I've had the same results from 115 DTAC's as 105-108gn bullets with regard to velocity and more or less treat them as the same. 8 twist has always been plenty to do 115's for me.

6x47L, fantastic case, very efficient, zero factory ammo. Easy to load for. Just the tiniest bit more potential poop than the 6XC. Great brass life but component availability may be less than your ideal and you have to form from 6.5x47L brass that are a dollar apiece. Figure 1700-1800 rounds but competitors I know using it pull their pipes at 1300-1500rds. Closing in on 3100fps is not a big trick. It's basically 100fps or so faster than a 6XC.

6CM, factory headstamp brass available. Very efficient ballistic twin of 6x47L. Factory loaded ammo available. There's so little difference to 6x47L other than headstamped cases and loaded ammo availability that one questions why both exist. Barrel life is pretty much identical to 6x47L. Pro-shooters are pulling their pipes around 1300-1500rds. For efficiency, availability and performance there are few equals.

6XC, just a little smaller capacity than the two above. Super efficient case, head stamp brass available, some commercial ammo including match ammo in 50 packs but mostly what's out there is boutique stuff and I doubt you'll see it on many shelves. Costs 100fps off the max velocity you'd get from 6x47 or 6CM, ending up around 2950-3000 with 115's burning <40gn of powder. Great brass life. Barrel life is around 2000rnds from 2 match barrels so far. 2 more in process. This is the current optimum intersection of 6mm efficiency and performance but misses out a bit on availability.

.243Win, total availability... Anywhere, any shelf, anytime. Reloaders often need to trim brass pretty regularly thanks to the tapered case and shallow shoulders. Nowhere near as efficient as the ones above. Takes 5 grains more powder to do the same thing. >3100 with 115's is possible on 26" barrels. Throat life is not helped by the shallow shoulder angle and results in my experience were around 1000rds before things get random.

.243AI, easy brass forming from cheap .243W brass, can shoot .243W factory ammo, 3300fps is possible with 115's, 3200 is easy. 45+gn powder charges. Kinda a shortish neck on the brass but brass life is insane. Barrel life for me was 1300rds before the throat was too long using HBN coated bullets. Figure ~1000 for un-coated bullets. Not as efficient as the CM's and XC's but gives magnum performance in a non-magnum case.

.243WSSM: Basically just a really expensive to shoot .243AI. For the powder it burns there are cases based on a .473" head that perform identically without needing the magnum .550" bolt face and with brass that is cheaper, more available and lasts longer.

6x45mm, a little unsung hero. .223rem necked up. Commercial ammo is available and not very expensive but it's not common on store shelves. Brass forming is literally just neck up .223 and go. Tiny powder appetite with performance sufficient for light bodied game like deer/pigs/coyote/bad guys. Not a speed demon, just stupid efficient use of powder. Use 85gn and under pills. Barrel life is, well I don't know. After 5K rounds in a semi-auto it's still match grade.

If you don't reload, 6CM will nearly double your barrel life over a .243W. Any of them will kill deer like lightning bolts. If you have recoil averse shooters, really look at the 6x45mm. 1lbs of free recoil in a rifle of typical weight. You could put the butt stock on your nose and shoot it. My personal current favorite is the .243AI just for sheer performance without regard to economics and the 6XC for across the course performance and 6x45mm for pure deer killing efficiency.

For me, a 243. Components are always on the shelf as well as ammo. For all practical purposes what goes down with wildcat of similar chambering will also go down with a 243. The biggest difference I can see is that factory 243's are usually sold with a 9 or 10 twist and some of the other hot rods have a quicker twist for heavier bullets.

Agree, with everyone touting, the .243 Win., as lots of Ammo available, EVERYWHERE !
Then, as stated by snox (post #3) you can go to .243 Ack or better yet, the 6mm SLR.
That's what I'm gonna do, 6mm SLR, a WINNER and what, the .243 Win., SHOULD have been! But heck, the .243 has been "Golden" since, 1955 ! What, a sweet track record ! Can't wait, for some Factory to standardize the 6 SLR, til' then, I'll make them !
PS; the 6mm SLR will get 2X, the barrel life with, the "right" Powders/ cleaning regimen !
PSS: the HOT, barrel burning, 4350's are NOT necessary, in the 6 mmSLR to get,.. super performance. Skip the Ackley version and go to the SLR "later" as, the 6 Creed, is still a bit of, a "Barrel Burner". Go to 6mmAR.com, to look at/ learn about, it !

Last edited:
If you don't reload go with the .243 W as there's tons of factory ammo, Midway has 47 types for it and only 11 for the 6CM, only two for the WSSM.
It's hit or miss if factory ammo will shoot well from your gun and you many more choices with the .243W
For a hunting rifle a barrel will last a lifetime as we aren't talking about BR accuracy.

Since you don't reload, 6 Creedmoor without a 2nd thought.
So what if his 6 creed doesn't like the Hornady ammo? He's left with very little options. I like the creed as I have a 6.5 and wished it was a 6 but without reloads you just don't have the chances of finding ammo as easy and some it likes. Plus it gives up nothing to the 6 creed in performance.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.