6mm Competition Match by MCR

This round was designed to compare in accuracy to the 6XC but have 50% more barrel life. It's original intentions were for Across the Course and F-Class but it's finding its way into several other classes as well.

How would it work in a tactical match?

6mm has two big advantages in tactical matches:
(1) low recoil, allowing for you to spot your shots and get quick follow-ups off
(2) relatively high MVs, affording the bullets a nice flat trajectory. This pays off big in UKD (UnKnown Distances), especially when you have to mill the target to find its distance.

The downside of 6mm in tactical matches are:
(1) light bullets don't provide as much punch down range, important when you need to see your splash or knock over a target for points
(2) unless you are pointing your DTACs, the BCs are a tad lower than 6.5mm.

Net net, 6mm or 6.5mm are the go-to bullets for the tactical precision match scene.

I've been shooting the 6MM Competion Match since early 2007. My first 1 has 3600+ rounds down it from all types of disciplines. This is still a solid .25 moa shooter. My 2nd 1 is a Bench rifle, only over 1000 rounds down it. Both of these rifles will give me 5 shot groups at 100 yards under .2. Recently borescoped the 1st rifle, it will go over 4000 rounds. I shoot these just like Joe shoots his, alot of the time, fast and in a hurry.

Dgd6mm How does it agge. in benchrest 600 and 1000yd. comps.? Haven't had a chance to visit with anyone who uses one. I am just starting out in benchrest this year. With Pierre cancelling the matches I haven't made any sanctioned matches missing Missoula because of family.

Brent

Wow this is cool i was just messing on the net, and googled 6 mm cm to see if there was any new news. And bam a picture of my rifle that kevin built for me. Ive started barrel break in and fireforming my lapua brass . So far so good great groups. I cant wait to do some spot and stock varmit huniting in the sandhills this winter with this rifle. Just gota save up some money for a more repeatable scope. Like the night force i have on my 338 edge that kevin built for me that shoots awsome. I knowhave ive saidstarted this before but Thanks again Kevin for building me these very accurate rifles.

I have not shot the benchrifle in about 5 months. I'm just now getting the setup right new rear bag and all. I've finished well with it in our area 800 yard fun shoots. I shot a 2" 10 shot group that scored 97 0x in the rain and cold earlier this year. The next shoot I had a 99 4x on a 600 yard IBS target at 800 yards. I had a 2nd a 3rd and a 4th place finish this year at 800 yards. The 4th came when several of the guys built .284 Shehane's to out shoot the 6MM's.

My 1st 6CM that I started shooting in Feb. '07, put it on paper for group size at 600 yards with 3800+ rounds down the barrel. It shot .4 moa 5 shot group, and .25 at 100 yards. I have not shot much this year. I wanted to finish off this 1st barrel to chamber another but I've been shooting my new .308 FTR rilfe mostly.

For those that do not believe that the 6MM Competition Match is this good, the only thing I can say is it's your loss. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of bad a-- 6MM cartridges out there with great accuracy, but I don't know of any that gets this kind of barrel life and still holds this kind of accuracy.

Here's some quoted info from Joe Hendrick taken from the pdf attachment earlier in this thread.

Do you think these concepts would work with the high bc .224 bullets as well?

Maybe a .22-250 AI filled up with some slower powder pushing a 80 grn bullet? Maybe save some barrel life? Easy to get dies and fireform?

Or even a 22-243?

Not really trying to throw them as fast as possible, I just want to give my .224 barrel a little more speed.

Sorry for resurrecting an old post, but it seems like you have a good idea about this concept.

Thanks!

Should work. Been running a 6mm comp match LRI Build for a month and a half. Still perfecting my tune but have fired 100 yd groups in the mid 1's 5 rounds. This concept has me rethinking alot of the barrel burner cartridges too. You just have to accept that you will probably not get the super high end velocities with the slow single based powders that you can with the faster double based powders. I also have a 22-250 ai and am going to play around with the heavies in this rifle and see what it will do. It's at present super accurate .2 type performer with 80's. Presently running 3330 fps. gun)This post should be resurrected as the 6cm is gaining popularity fast. No telling where it is going but it sure works. Thanks Joe for letting this out of the bag.

Joe Hendricks won with it at Camp Perry this year. gun) With al the 6mm cartridges out there I will stick with this one. I know it well and it does perform excellent in many disciplines.

I ended up going 243 for ease of components. My load is 47.6gr of H-1000 and a Dtac. Can I expect to see longer barrel life from this load than someone shooting 4350. I'm going to keep and accurate round count and try to borescope the throat every 500 or so rounds and see how it compares. If its gone in 1500-2000 I will do a 6comp match next.

Redding sells them. They are called .243 EGolf IMPROVED.
I undestand that Chad Dixon will make a custom die, he loves this cartridge. Dave Bruno made my first custom die, he now sells the Redding and I do not know if he still makes custom dies.

Dave is Joe Hendricks Gunsmith, he has chambered my barrels. I know that Chad is an excellent smith also.