6mm cm long range load development.

timmyatnop

Hi everone iam to the point where iam trying to decide what to do next... My 6cm that Kevin at mcr built me is shooting an awsome group at 100 and 200 yards. But iam ready to strech her out. Ok heres where i am at. Ive loaded up to 49 grains h1000 with the berger 115vld no pressure signs. Ok my 200 yard group is super awsome like half inch awsome.. ok do i need to do ladder test . Sould i load up one at 47, 47.2....47.4....47.6.. and so on till 49 grains. Or just load and shoot 49 grains and see how it is at 600 yards or so. What do u think any advice..

What I do is load 5 of each and test them. But I'd test at 300 at that range you should have a good idea what your load will do at 600. You may want to chronograph your loads though. Using h1000 on that light of a bullet may be to slow and you will have a lot of drop. Plus it's a slow burner. I'd switch to maybe varget.

Hi everone iam to the point where iam trying to decide what to do next... My 6cm that Kevin at mcr built me is shooting an awsome group at 100 and 200 yards. But iam ready to strech her out. Ok heres where i am at. Ive loaded up to 49 grains h1000 with the berger 115vld no pressure signs. Ok my 200 yard group is super awsome like half inch awsome.. ok do i need to do ladder test . Sould i load up one at 47, 47.2....47.4....47.6.. and so on till 49 grains. Or just load and shoot 49 grains and see how it is at 600 yards or so. What do u think any advice..

Shooting 1/4 moa at 200 yards I would wring it out and see what it does out where you want to shoot it. As stated crony it and if its not moving fast enough for what you want then worry about it. I'd take the accuracy over FPS as long as it is reasonable.

what does the CM stand for ( custom match ) or something else

If so then thats the norm for a charge in that case/cal.I too have been wanting one myself if its a 6mm custom match.They burn H1000 under a 115gn bullet really well, giving great accuracy, with many rounds down the tube.I think the maker of the 6cm has got like 4000 rounds down one barrel,and still shoots great.

Iam gona go shoot the 49 grains through the chrono this weekend. Iam told it should be around 3150 fps. Ill shoot them at 300 and see what it looks like. The only problim with 300 is the farther out the harder it geets to shoot accurate. Darm mirage, or wind drift. Guess ill give her a shot this weekend ill let everyone know how it goes. . Oh yea the cm ..stands for competition match.

Go for it it will be a great help to you rather than a butt.We all at one time or another need to walk away from 100 or even 200 yards.Me if I could learn wind then shooting past 500 would be a walk in the park gun)

The way I was taught to do load development by my mentor:

Find the powder and bullet which it sounds like you have, chrono it and check es, sd(single digits). Play with seating depth and see if you can do any better. Print groups as far as you can see the group develop. For me it is 300yds with the optics and range I shoot at. Don't just shoot one group of five, shoot four groups of five. You will get a better idea of what the rifle actually will average. The first time I watched my mentor do this it was only a couple hours at the range. He had a load worked up for his comp gun. A portable press is very handy for load development and matches like the NBRSA Nationals in Calif. where you can get six days of shooting.

Brent

Still bo chrono yet.. i loaded up 5 rounds at 48. Five at 48.2 five at 48.8 and so on till i got to 49.2. Gona shoot at 300 this weekend. I sure hope fed x deliveres chrono before i go.

Up date on 6cm load. Chronographed some loads 49 grains h1000. Showed 2950 fps with an es of 16 fps. My and my brother took it out yesterday and shot steel at 500.them 800. Them 1000. Made first round hits at 500 and 800. Had to lower my fps bye 15 in shooter to hit at 1000. After that it was easy ten inch gong rang a lot. It was a great day and iam ready to do it again.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.