6mm br vs 6mm SLR for beginer LR shooting?

sportmuaythai

After subscribing to this web site for several years, I still haven't got my feet wet. Seems like there is much to learn. I'll get into LR shooting class for certain. Mean while, I'm contemplating about having a rifle built. This will be dedicated for learning purpose. I've narrowed my cartridge choice to either 6mm br, or 6mm SLR. I would like to spot my shots, and don't mind a muzzle brake. The rifle should be fairly portable, so I have a goal set for 13lbs-14lbs gun, ready to shoot but without bipod. I'd like to shoot up to 1km. I'd also prefer a cartridge that will allow barrel to last up to 3,000 rounds with very good hunting accuracy. This will not be a competition gun, so I'll shoot slow. What would you guys recommend?

I won't comment on your choice of calibers since you seem to have your mind made up already, although I think there are much better choices for your needs.

First question is will this rifle be a single shot? BDL? Or fed from some type of Mag? The 6mmBR is known for having feeding issues in a repeater.

If this is your first, no wildcats. Stay with the BR. It will drive 105/108 at 2850.

As for the initial feeding issues, competant gunsmiths solved those long time ago.

Another great "learning caliber" is the 308 with the 175, 178 or 180s.

Both are easy to reload and shoot accurately.

First question is will this rifle be a single shot? BDL? Or fed from some type of Mag? The 6mmBR is known for having feeding issues in a repeater.
Thanks trevor for you kind advice. Actually my mind is not made up yet. Any comment is sincerely appreciated. Thank you for bringing up the feeding issue of 6mmbr.

If this is your first, no wildcats. Stay with the BR. It will drive 105/108 at 2850.

As for the initial feeding issues, competant gunsmiths solved those long time ago.

Thanks BountyHunter. I have a 280 improve from Jarrett, but I use Nosler cases exclusively. As I under stand, the 6mm SLR needs only a single pass with FL sizing die to form the case from a .243 win case. This new rifle I'm thinking about will be used strictly for learning, and will not be used for hunting. I'm considering some thing light so i can learn to spot my shots. As I've stated, I'll get definite get into a LR shooting class.

1+

The 308 is the standard "learning caliber" but the BR is a great one also. With a good chart and a calm day it can do more than most would think.

Mine is a no neck turn and shoots 107's @ 2850 fps. It's a tack driver and does well at 1K. I've even played around shooting it at 1250.

I can give you some really good advice that comes from having a 6BR, 6BRX and .20BR ......all repeaters :D

A 6BR would be an awesome choice, but it really boils down to if you want a repeater or not. You can get the 6BR to feed fairly reliable, but you will still have some issues now and then.....especially if you get into tactical type matches or just fun matches where you may want/need to cycle rounds quickly....which by the way....you can do with single shots as well with practice.

I am currently gathering parts for a 6SLR build. So, although I haven't even been around an SLR, I'm a litte biased. YOU SHOULD GO WITH THE SLR :D

Thanks for all kind comments. I never failed to get help from this board.:)
BTW since this will be a learning rifle, I'd like a repeater, yet I'll not fire rapidly. So, feeding may be OK, and I don't to toast the throat.

Sounds great.

For what it's worth....

For a repeater and "Learning" rifle.....Don't go with the BR. The BR would be a great Learning caliber in a single shot.....but there are way better things to be concentrating on than feeding issues.

The SLR will be an awesome choice, because as you know, you are getting an improved version of a proven round (.243) without any fire forming. One pass through the die and your case is formed (for the most part, but that's like any caliber).

Can't wait to get mine!!!

If you are starting with the 243 anyway, what's wrong with it? I am not familiar with the SLR, but I can't imagine it is much different than a standard 243. Twist it fast, and shoot 105a-max or 115 dtac. KISS. Barrel life won't be an issue.

If you are starting with the 243 anyway, what's wrong with it? KISS. Barrel life won't be an issue.
.243 Win + .243 AI Cartridge Guide
Barrel life is the downside of both the .243 AI and standard .243. These chamberings pump a lot of powder through a small bore. The result, typically, is rather short barrel life, sometimes less than 1500 rounds.

Super LR
The 30 degree shoulder angle of the 6mm Super LR is another potential benefit of the Super LR. Not only does it help to avoid the throat torching effect that people associate with the .243 Winchester (because of the .243's short neck and mild 20 degree shoulder angle)

Not dissing anyone here, just curious. I don't like to take words as gospel, I need something to back it up. Does anyone have any real world results of barrel wear? I hear the words "shot out", or "short barrel life" a lot and would like to see at least some data to back up the opinion. I think it is too subjective to actually put to numbers. Each one of us has an idea of an accuracy requirement, and to say a barrel is shot out is a bit vague.
I would like to hear from some shooters who have the data from their barrels and can document the deterioration of the accuracy in real means. For some guys, anything over 1/2moa is "shot out" and for others, 1moa will suffice. I really don't think the barrel life of a standard 243 will be an issue for the OP, and to go with the hassle of even a mildly modified cartridge is a bit much for me. For a beginner, like I said, KISS. No sense in trying to learn too many things right off the bat. Use a standard cartridge, shoot the crap out of it, and then you will know what you want to do for the next barrel. I doubt that after 1500 rounds a 243 will be hindering his shooting and learning, just don't see the need for anything else for a starter.
I would appreciate data from several shooters here, I have a screamer I am shooting now, so I know something is coming, just don't know when I will hit "that spot" for me. A 123g bullet out the barrel at 3200 is doing something to the bore, just don't know what to expect. I do not shoot a lot, I have maybe 6-700 rounds through in the last two years, but I know it is coming. Hopefully, I will be able to set it back a time or two and get a lot more use out of it. It is my first long range gun and I am loving it.

I need something to back it up. Does anyone have any real world results of barrel wear? I hear the words "shot out", or "short barrel life" a lot and would like to see at least some data to back up the opinion.
Dear Jeff, have you clicked at .243 Win + .243 AI Cartridge Guide above? I'm certain the site will edit its articles to preserve credibility of its web site.
For a beginner, like I said, KISS.
Again, pls click at Super LR. You'll find case forming is simply same as you'd f/l size a new case for loading, except may be closer attention to lubing the case shoulder and its neck.

That SLR looks great -wasn't familar w/it -i say 6SLR.
It's a sexy cartridge and has me thinking about rebarreling my boring 22-250 that i had built and went w/a 1 in 12tw.
Is there enough room in a 700 short action to not be limited by magazine capacity w/out custom bottom metal ? W/115's ?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.