6mm ARC

It still has Grendle bolt issues, yawn.

I wonder why Hornady didn't find a popular wildcat that they could rename and SAAMI spec instead of cloud the waters more?

6mm Valkyrie or something similar is what should have been released instead of 224. If they did that and didn't let PTG screw up a bunch of reamers, they would be way ahead.

It still has Grendle bolt issues, yawn.

I wonder why Hornady didn't find a popular wildcat that they could rename and SAAMI spec instead of cloud the waters more?

6mm Valkyrie or something similar is what should have been released instead of 224. If they did that and didn't let PTG screw up a bunch of reamers, they would be way ahead.
What are the Grendel bolt issues? I've never owned a Grendel.

I think there will be some mag issues as well. I still think it's a cool addition

Admittedly not a cartridge guru, so I can't see the overwhelming excitement on the 6mm ARC. I am putting together a 243 LBC currently, and can't understand why a commercial round would reduce powder capacity when not needed. I understand that they could have lengthened the shoulder dimension by a couple thou's and named it the same....I admit it makes it a lot easier as for factory ammo, brass, dies, etc...but if I am building a rifle for semi long range (600) Target, I don't want to reduce case capacity , thereby reducing velocity. I'm not knocking the cartridge, just curious as to why everyone is excited over a cartridge that is already available as the 6mm AR, 243 LBC, and a couple of other names. As far as components, get a RCBS 6.5 Grendel FL bushing die with a .239 bushing, or what you need, run Lapua brass through it ( or Hornady) and fire......rsbhunter

The 6mmARC from Hornady. Most interesting, as I'v a 6.5 Grendel and it wasn't earth moving for me and the 6AR seemed like a PITA to do the extra work. Hornady to the rescue, I like! Looking for an AR barrel & for a bolt barrel...

Flame away!

I've had a 24" 6.5 Grendel Alexander Arms upper since 2013 and I love it. While I won't be jumping on the 6mm ARC hype train I will be looking forward to hopefully seeing magazine prices on the Grendel come down as the ARC will be using the exact same magazine. Fingers crossed that it bring brass prices down as well.

Also, I have no idea what bolt issues these other guys are talking about. My Grendel and Beowulf have never had the slightest hiccup and they both use the Grendel/7.62x39mm bolts and my brother has never reported an issue with his Grendel either. Sounds like a bunch of unfounded rumors to me.

Meh...

A 6mm at an ADVERTISED 2750fps likely means a reality of 2675-2725. Just not enough to separate from the already saturated offering in the 6mm class for me. Obviously, Hornady did the research and believes there's room for another one with the AR crowd, but I predict little if any significant carry over to the bolt gun world.

The 6GT seems to make the most sense if you're wanting something new in the 6mm class. Good blend of speed, barrel life and positive feeding characteristics.

Admittedly not a cartridge guru, so I can't see the overwhelming excitement on the 6mm ARC. I am putting together a 243 LBC currently, and can't understand why a commercial round would reduce powder capacity when not needed. I understand that they could have lengthened the shoulder dimension by a couple thou's and named it the same....I admit it makes it a lot easier as for factory ammo, brass, dies, etc...but if I am building a rifle for semi long range (600) Target, I don't want to reduce case capacity , thereby reducing velocity. I'm not knocking the cartridge, just curious as to why everyone is excited over a cartridge that is already available as the 6mm AR, 243 LBC, and a couple of other names. As far as components, get a RCBS 6.5 Grendel FL bushing die with a .239 bushing, or what you need, run Lapua brass through it ( or Hornady) and fire......rsbhunter
This why it's exciting, I primarily handload for all my rifles first, off the rack factory or wildcat (obviously) and it's kind of nice to go down to the local SGS or online store and pick up some boxed ammo every once in a while and shoot with no fuss no muss, get readily brass that all it requires is to be "loaded", the end.
I practice the KISS principle. Shooting long range, with all that facets of it, is a pretty involved process, so if there's a way to shorten a process here or there, I'm with it. The 6.5 Grendel is a decent AR cartridge, but the 6mmAR is better IMO and the 6mm ARC, should be more better, having factory support. The 6 Dasher, has some life, but still a competition round to me. And then came the 6GT, with it's better design and support.
For me, I primarily shoot big boy magnums with big payloads, for longrange hunting, but you can't shoot them all the time. So I dropped down a to 6mm, .257 & 6.5mm mid-range cartridges, mostly for practice, but they surprised me in many ways, at what they can actually do!

I agree to a point....I shoot 221 fireball to 300 RUM....got rid of the 338. Until my custom AR10 in 6.5 Creedmoor, I never found factory ammo that would shoot (equal to)with handloads. Plus, my 6mm Norma Dasher shoots competition level with brass loaded right out of the box. I don't argue with having factory ammo available...but I seldom shoot , just for the sake of burning powder. Not that I don't shoot for fun, but my fun is testing the ammo and my capabilities...I'm in no way knocking the cartridge or benefits of a factory backed cartridge....just curious as to the cartridge's configuration. I know they will sell, it's a good cartridge......rsbhunter

What are the Grendel bolt issues? I've never owned a Grendel.

I think there will be some mag issues as well. I still think it's a cool addition
When Alexander Arms developed it, they modified .223 bolts and deepened the bolt face which significantly reduced the cross section of metal supporting the bolt lugs. When you load 6.5 Grendle hot enough to stay supersonic at 1,000 yards with 123 grain bullets in a 20" or shorter barrel, the bolt lugs like to break off.

The SPC was essentially a clean sheet of paper design and they made sure their case head left enough meat in the bolt face. Sadly 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendle were compared a lot because they both hit the scene around the same time. They were designed for two entirely different purposes.

6.8 SPC isn't trying to be a 1,000 yard target round. 6.5 Grendle isn't trying to be a potential 5.56x45 replacement.

I've got a 6.8 SPC and it is great. It runs like a top and shoots sub-MOA out to 600 yards, I haven't tried farther.

I have 6.5 Creedmoor for 1,000 yard shooting because I don't want to deal with 6.5 Grendle issues and I'm glad to step up to 147 grain bullets and about 200fps more muzzle velocity.

I've got a TAC6 wildcat for when I want to shoot 1,000 yards with an AR15. It shoots a 105 grain Berger about 2,700fps from an 18" barrel.

The 6mmARC from Hornady. Most interesting, as I'v a 6.5 Grendel and it wasn't earth moving for me and the 6AR seemed like a PITA to do the extra work. Hornady to the rescue, I like! Looking for an AR barrel & for a bolt barrel...

Flame away!

Check Brownells for barrels, bolt, etc.

J, Exactly ! I have heard all the info about how the AR isn't up to br standards, etc,etc. I don't expect more from the ar platform than it can deliver, but I am very happy with my ar10 in 6.5 Creedmoor, and am looking forward to shooting the new build in 243LBC. It is fun to get as much accuracy out of a given rifle as possible, both myself and the rifle considered.....and as to factory ammo, some of it it awesome..rsbhunter

Attachments

• IMG_20200115_1418294_rewind.jpg
    IMG_20200115_1418294_rewind.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 127