6mm ARC vs 6.5 Grendel

madarcher427

Im looking for advice between these two calibers. It's for target shooting out to a 1000 with an AR platform. One plus for the Grendel is you can get cheap plinking ammo.

Though I haven't tried my Grendel past 300, I'd wager that either would do. Make sure you have at least a 1:8 twist.
I find this video useful, first saw it on 65grendel.com:

I put two AR Grendels together, one 16" and one 18". Shooting 1000 yards with either seems futile. Will they do it, yes. Do it well, no. Sticking a 24" barrel on an AR doesn't seem realistic either. I would say if you are just playing, go for it. But when I play I like things to be more in my favor, not handicapped. I would think this would be the same with the ARC too.

Im looking for advice between these two calibers. It's for target shooting out to a 1000 with an AR platform. One plus for the Grendel is you can get cheap plinking ammo.
I guess I have not seen much for the ballistics on the ARC but as a Grendel owner I am going to tell you that if 1000 yards is what you're going to be shooting at then you need to find a different platform. The AR's caliber options just doesn't have the oomf to make a good 1000 yard rifle in my opinion. Will my Grendel do 1000? Yep and I've taken it that far but the energy and velocity it has when it gets there is nothing. I wouldn't want to shoot anything bigger than a prairie dog at that range. Mind you, my AR in 6.5 Grendel has a 26" barrel too so I'm not leaving much, if any, extra velocity on the table either. Also, you mention cheap plinking ammo, there's no way you're going to be getting close to touching 1000 yards with cheap plinking ammo. You're going to need to do some accurate hand loads once you want to get past probably 600 yards or so. If you need to have a 1000 yard AR platform, my suggestion is to build an AR10 in 6.5 or 6 Creedmoor or whatever flavor you desire. That would definitely be a better option than anything the AR15 has to offer.

Last edited:
Both cartridges have been and are being used for 1000 yard shooting.

One's secondary use may be the deciding factor.

A lot will depend on whether one plans to hunt with the cartridge. The 6 ARC will be an excellent deer harvester. If large animals are in the hunting plan, Grendel can handle larger them better than the 6 ARC.

If you want to stick with the ar15 platform and are just target shooting the 22 valkyrie is another option.

If you want to stick with the ar15 platform and are just target shooting the 22 valkyrie is another option.
I hear most people are having a heck of a time getting the Valkyrie to shoot any kind of respectable groups. Sounds like it's a super finicky round to reload for. Full disclosure I have no experience with the round personally. If I am incorrect, someone please let me know.

Another vote for the 6mm. I have both and I rarely ever grab the Grendel any more. I think the grendel lacks case capacity to utilize the heavy, high BC bullets needed for 1k. Where as the 6mm (mine is a 6.5 Grendel necked down, almost identical to the ARC) does have barely enough to take advantage of the high BC 6mm bullets available.

I hear most people are having a heck of a time getting the Valkyrie to shoot any kind of respectable groups. Sounds like it's a super finicky round to reload for. Full disclosure I have no experience with the round personally. If I am incorrect, someone please let me know.
You're right about finicky. I've been muddling with it a while now. But man, once you get it its dynamite. And I found one factory load that's amazing too.

Attachments

• 20200609_170135.jpg
    20200609_170135.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 560
I love my Valkyrie, never reloaded or it. as factory federal 90 gr match king shoot amazing. Awesome gun to shoot when you just want to shoot for pure fun and make hits way down range in a hurry.

I put two AR Grendels together, one 16" and one 18". Shooting 1000 yards with either seems futile. Will they do it, yes. Do it well, no. Sticking a 24" barrel on an AR doesn't seem realistic either. I would say if you are just playing, go for it. But when I play I like things to be more in my favor, not handicapped. I would think this would be the same with the ARC too.
The ballistic quandry. Short barrel convenient but sometimes much lower velocity. Long barrel good velocity possible but not too convenient to carry etc but then that is what slings are for. I prefer fast and the longer barrels.

I have not read all the posts, but to me it seems like a simple answer.

Heavy for caliber = high BC 6mm bullets will work fine in a Grendel class case.

6.5mm heavy for caliber will not work in a Grendel case. So you dont get the BC benefit.

The Grendel case class is suited for bullets up to 120gr. 6mm tops out at 108gr IIRC, where 6.5mm 150gr is about the top.

I really like hunting deer and hogs with a 6.5 Grendel but if I wanted to go long for steel 6mm would be my choice. I dont care too much for deer hunting with anything lighter than 6.5mm.