6mm AR Turbo 40

rcoody

Well since my Krieger varmatch fiasco I have a 12 month wait for Krieger to build my upper .

I am moving on. Ordered this a few weeks ago. I should have it in a month or so.

I don't really like muzzle brakes cause they are so loud but on a long range gun they sure do help you keep the sight picture.

Any of you have any experience with this upper? sure would like some feedback

turbo_40_varmint_upper__1.jpg

I have that upper, but in 6mmAR, not the Turbo. No brake. It was built for me by Richard Whitely about four years ago. Top quality! It feeds flawlessly and groups 107/105gr SMKs, Bergers, and Lapuas into .25MOA. it has performed well against the bolt rifles in 200/300 yard egg shoots, my purpose for the rifle.

I have that upper, but in 6mmAR, not the Turbo. No brake. It was built for me by Richard Whitely about four years ago. Top quality! It feeds flawlessly and groups 107/105gr SMKs, Bergers, and Lapuas into .25MOA. it has performed well against the bolt rifles in 200/300 yard egg shoots, my purpose for the rifle.

Yea

I am getting it from Robert

1/4" would be awesome.

I ordered a leupold VX-6 7-42X56 today to put on it.

I wondered about the the brake. It is nice to keep the gun steady during the shot where you can keep your sight picture but they sure are loud.

I wonder if it will have an effect on accuracy. Anything you hang on the end of a barrel acts like a tuner. Only thing is it is hard to say if it will tune to the good or bad or not at all.

If I don't like it I will unscrew it and put the cap on.

I just used one of the loads suggested by Robert and the first one I tried gave great results. I think having the option of the brake with the Turbo makes good sense, particularly if you can cap it if desired. Let us know how it shoots when you get it.

Last edited:
I just used one of the loads suggested by Robert and the first one I tried gave great results. I think having the option of the brake with the Turbo makes good sense, particularly if you can cap it if desired. Let us know how it shoots when you get it.

sure will

waiting is killing me

just out of curiosity which load and powder are you getting 1/4" groups with. Not looking for your secret formula. Just a little hint.

just out of curiosity which load and powder are you getting 1/4" groups with. Not looking for your secret formula. Just a little hint.

I use Lapua brass, CCIBR4 primer, 28.5gr R15, 107gr SMK, .010" off the lands, brass sized .004" under the fired case size.
This is my best 100 yard group, 5 shots

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 112
I use Lapua brass, CCIBR4 primer, 28.5gr R15, 107gr SMK, .010" off the lands, brass sized .004" under the fired case size.
This is my best 100 yard group, 5 shots

thanks

I hope one day I can shoot a group like that. Totally "Awesome!

I have all those components available.

Now I have no idea what that redding die will do to my fired brass.

do you adjust the die off the shellholder and measure the resized brass until you are getting that .004 resizing?

thanks

Now I have no idea what that redding die will do to my fired brass.

do you adjust the die off the shellholder and measure the resized brass until you are getting that .004 resizing?

Yes. I use a Hornady Lock n Load headspace tool. I measure a fired case first, the run it through the dye. I start with the dye backed off about 1/16" from the bushing and size until I'm .004" shorter then my fired case. Once set up with the first case, tighten the lock ring and you are all set.

Yes. I use a Hornady Lock n Load headspace tool. I measure a fired case first, the run it through the dye. I start with the dye backed off about 1/16" from the bushing and size until I'm .004" shorter then my fired case. Once set up with the first case, tighten the lock ring and you are all set.

thanks

I should have gone this route instead of the 6x47 Lapua route. I think the turbo should be the cartridge for long range shooting prairie dogs. I admire the looks of the builds.
I used to use muzzle brakes until I started using suppressors. Will never go back! They tame recoil as well as a brake,reduce noise, increase accuracy, and are a whale of a lot more enjoyable to shoot!

I should have gone this route instead of the 6x47 Lapua route. I think the turbo should be the cartridge for long range shooting prairie dogs. I admire the looks of the builds.
I used to use muzzle brakes until I started using suppressors. Will never go back! They tame recoil as well as a brake,reduce noise, increase accuracy, and are a whale of a lot more enjoyable to shoot!

i am certainly looking forward to recieving mine

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.