6mm/300wsm

eddybo

Other than the obvious barrel destruction any other problems with this round. I see reamers out there. Could you just neck down 270WSM brass. Anyone tried it or know anything about it?

I necked down 270WSM brass for the 6.5WSM that didnt work out.I still necked it down in 2 steps from 270-260 to help save all the brass. I luv my 6-284 but would never consider a 6WSM.....a 7WSM maybe???

Eddybo, just go with a 6x284, you will love it. All you have to do is neck down the 6.5x284 brass and your ready to reload. I am putting one togather right know, and I am going to develope it around the 105grn and 107grn bullets.

If your dead set on using one of the WSM cases, go with the 300-WSM and neck it down to 7mm. Norma is making the 300-WSM brass, so you will have great brass.

Let us know what you decide. What kind of specs are you going to use for your project.

Wildcat

I already got my reamer, barrel should be in this week...so I am still going with the 6/284...was just wondering about the 6/WSM for future consideration and havent been able to find much on it. I figure that if I keep rotating my guns I could probably make even that overbore last a couple of years at least. This benchrest shooting just has me in love with the 6mms..dont need another 6mm just want em.

I have a 6mm-300wsm. Mine shoots great. I have no problems at all necking down 270wsm brass. It just takes about 3 steps to get the neck were i need it. I am shooting the Barnes 85gr XLC at 3850fps. It is very accurate, usually 3 shoots under 1/2" at 100yards. Since i use mine for deer the xlc is all i have shot in it. I did shoot 2 deer this past season with it and it was awsome they didn't even move a hair. I used a pacnor 29" 1 in 12" twist and it is built on a winchester stealth II that was a .223 wssm. so it's not but about 1/2" longer than a 26" long action, works great. Also the only powder I have tried is Ramshot Magnum.

Thanks for the info...do you know of any literature or web pages where I can read more? Seems like it would be the baddest 6mm out there just based on case volume. If I knew that accuracy would be good with a fast twist barrel for the 115+ bullets I would probably get one of the smiths here started building today.

I cant see any reseason why a fast twist wouldn't work. Shilen list a 6mm stw and also Hart list a 6mm-264win mag. so there are some larger cases for 6mm out there.

I went with the 1in12 just because most of my shots on deer are under 300 yards and the Barnes 85gr bullet hits hard and shoots flat. The heavier bullets would not pay off until they got out around 650-700yards are better.

I just can't tell how much fun it is to shoot! Its a blast /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.