6mm/284

purpledragon

Will I have any issues if I build a 6mm/284 using a 700 rem 30-06 action? I had some say there would be feeding issues. I know one of you guys have done this. Looking forward to your input...........Thanks

I cant remember how it was on here before i thought either shawn or kirby said they like the 6mm-06 better just for that reason. you would also get the same performance. I know a lot of people like the 6-284.I was going to have built until i was talk out off it because of feeding problems. I am kind off surprised the 6-06 is not more popular.

My son in law had one built and we've had more trouble with it than it's worth.. watch which reamer you get the chamber cut with..one uses the norma case as it's base and the other the original 284 win... we had more problems with poor case life, difficulty getting it to work smoothly, the original gun smith wasn't the best and we've had it re-reamed since but I have spent too much time with it lately...I'm sure it's a fine long range big banger but watch who does your work and what case his reamer is designed off... as far as hard on throats, we've never fired that many shots out of it to find out.

I spent quite a bit of time on the net reading all I could about the 6mm-284 before making one. I ordered a reamer from Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and Gauge. I neck down 6.5-284 Lapua brass. I use a SA Rem 700 with a Wyatt's mag box, OAL 2.990". No problems with feeding.

I would think you shouldn't have an issue with feeding from a long action but haven't done it so cannot say for sure.

As for barrel twist the first one has a 1 in 7.5 but the second barrel has a 1in 8 twist. Originally thought I wanted to shoot 115 DTACs but they wouldn't shoot accurately enough for me. Moved to 107 Sierra MK. When Berger came out with their 105 hybrid I switched again. The next barrel will be shooting that bullet.

Current barrel has 939 through it. The throat and a foot down the barrel looks horrible in the borescope but it still shoots under 1/4 MOA. Much of the wear was trying to get the DTAC to shoot. Do yourself a favor and don't spend too many rounds on one bullet if it won't shoot.
-----------
Since I had the above rifle built I began installing and chambering my own rifle barrels. Using Rem takeoffs for the time being. Made two 6mm-284s so far. First was the learning barrel, a 20", and it shot okay with a fireball with each shot. Second barrel is on a SA Rem 700 and it shoots the 55 gr nos bt at 4185 fps. It is a hoot to wack jackrabbits and other varmints. Using 284 brass in that one. Never noticed any difference in the fit with the brass in the chamber. To help neck down the 284 brass I used the chamber reamer into an old 264 win mag barrel to make a forming die. It is perfect as the halfway to getting the neck down to 6mm.

UseS RL-22 and later Retumbo with the 107 sierra. Used Retumbo with the 105 berger hybrid. Most recently began using RL-33 with the Berger hybrid and gained some velocity. Using Varget in the 24" 6mm-284 and the 55 gr nos bt.

Hope some of this helps.

Thanks for the input gents, I did some more research and found that the 6mm/06AI is more cartridge than either. I can fire form 6/06 cases using the old Cream Of Wheat method, and don't have to worry with extra barrel wear. If I am wrong on this please comment...........

I have two, both cut with same reamer, 6.5-284 Lapua brass:

27" PacNor 1-8, 117 DTACs are precision in this one

30" Shilen 1-10, 87-90 gr Bergers

Brass life is very good, other than a few that get a little beat up during ladder testing....

Size with single pass in Redding sizer, turn necks and use same brass in both rifles.

Best thing to increase barrel life, run a patch or two down the tube, after every 5 or so shots....barrels are cheaper than bullets.

No matter which one you pick, you will like it.

This 6-284 sports a 28" SS Kreiger barrel threaded onto a Rem 700 LH/LA originally chambered in 30-06. I went with an H-S Precision DBM for this setup & it runs like a top. The H-S is a centerfeed design which works extremely well for this type of cartridge & can't think of any failures to feed so far.

Lapua 6.5-284 Brass
Redding S-type Bushing Dies

Ramshot Magnum Powder
Federal 210m's
Sierra 107's @ 3.100"

Running 3425fps with room to spare.

Complete Stock & Barreled Action.jpg

t

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts