6mm-284 load data

csmith86

Hey guys. I am just putting together a 6mm-284 on a Savage 110 LA with a Shaw 25" medium heavy barrel with a 1:10 twist. Does anyone have any experience with the 90 gr Sierra Game Changers out of this cartridge? I also have some Sierra SBT 100 gr bullets I can shoot too. I would like to stick to IMR-4831, H4831, RL19 type powders if at all possible. TIA!!

I think 240 wby data may get you close but hopefully someone with 6mm-284 experience will come along and post.

Getting accurate grouping and high velocity with the 95 gr Berger using RL-17. Used Varget with 55 gr ballistic tips @ 4175 and that is hard on the varmints. Bullet blow up in flight is a non issue.

RL-19 would be my choice of the powders you have mentioned.

Problem is your twist. According to what I have read 1 in 10 won't stabilize the 90 gr Sierra either. If you have them try a few and see. You may have to go with a shorter/lighter bullet.

I remember reading a thread on 24 campfire years ago where several guys in Montana were using the 70 gr ballistic tip on antelope and deer with excellent results from their 6mm-06s: Mark said: "I'll say that between a couple buds of mine and myself we've taken somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-60 head of game with the 70 NBT. To date, I've never had one stay inside a deer/lope"
link https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3632539/1

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.