6mm 105 berger 3300fps..................

Greg Duerr

Just curious ..............for those who shoot a 6mm Remington can you get 3300 fps with a 105 gr Bullet?? 26" barrel

according to the person I have been talking to I was told that a standard 6mm shooting a 105gr berger will shoot over 3300fps........................no pressure issues

?????

If the stars align perfectly and...

Well, really, if you got a "fast" barrel, sure you could get 3300 with 105s stretch the bullet out as far as you can for max capacity.

but

I'm not so sure of the "no pressure" part but pressure is in the eye of the beholder.

but then again

I ain't done it and I ain't gonna cause I got no 6mm Remington.

I wouldn't do it. You really need to step up to the 6x06 or 240roy and put a long barrel on it to have a chance at 3300 fps with a 100/105 in 6mm.
We've had a 6rem or two around over the years; they are happy at about 3K fps with a 100...

I do it all day long with a .243 Ack. 105gr Berger at 3300 is the only thing I shoot outta it. The 6mm Rem should be very close to it.

Wow, I think you'll need a really long barrel to make that happen, in all practicality, a 6-284, or 6mm-06 or possibly a 6mm-06 ai might be able to get there.

I do it all day long with a .243 Ack. 105gr Berger at 3300 is the only thing I shoot outta it. The 6mm Rem should be very close to it.
Yes, the capacity is very close.

You and your barrel may be safe but this is way over published data for a 6rem.

Is it good advice to say without cautions "do it all day long" especially with a different chambering?

1) The Pressure Trace II I use is not a perfectly calibrated machine.
2) The Weatherby actions I use do not stretch the way others do and will not break.

The data is consistent across 4 rifles. You will get ejector marks at around 56k PSI.

The published data goes to 61k PSI and only makes just over 3000fps.

Yes, it is possible to get 3300fps with a 6rem, is it safe?

Also, is that where the accuracy is for this rifle?

If you want this kind of speed, build a .240 Weatherby or a 6mm-06 with a 27-28" barrel and use slow powder.

Greg,

I love the 6mm have a few.

My Remington 700 heavy barrel shoots the 105 BTHP Hornady at 3067fps without pressure signs.
I use 45.5gr of RL-22

I have a Remington 40x 6mm that shows pressure signs with that load.

The fastest 6mm I have seen was the one my cousin has and his custom 700 launches 105-107s at 3150fps with a case full of H1000 and a 26.5" barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.