6mm-06 springfield headspace question

6mm06guy

Im building a 6mm-06 springfield on a stevens 200 action with a pacnor barrel. Sence the dementions are the same as a 30-06 or 26-06 i should be able to use 25-06 go/no go guages correct? Any info you guys can give me will be helpful. This is my first wildcat build.

You should be able to use .30-06, .35 Whelen, .270, 0r 25-06 headspace gauges, but I would call the reamer grinder and verify it.

SAAMI lists the cartridge dimensions for all of the calibers above, and you can compare them, but I don't know if SAAMI has standard dimensions for the 6mm-06 to compare.

Tom

The 6mm/06 is a wildcat, SAAMI only lists "standardized" cartridges. As a matter of fact, they are the organization that companies go to, to "standardize" a catridge. Check with the company/person who chambered the barrel for proper gauge selection. I'd assume it uses std. .30/06 head space gauges, that why it's the 6mm/06,,, but only the owner of the reamer knows for sure,,,,,,,,maybe.............

I wasn't sure, but I didn't think that SAAMI had standardized that cartridge....No factory ammo I guess.

That being the case, only the reamer owner (or grinder) would know for sure.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.