6mm-06 springfield headspace question

6mm06guy

Im building a 6mm-06 springfield on a stevens 200 action with a pacnor barrel. Sence the dementions are the same as a 30-06 or 26-06 i should be able to use 25-06 go/no go guages correct? Any info you guys can give me will be helpful. This is my first wildcat build.

specweldtom

You should be able to use .30-06, .35 Whelen, .270, 0r 25-06 headspace gauges, but I would call the reamer grinder and verify it.

SAAMI lists the cartridge dimensions for all of the calibers above, and you can compare them, but I don't know if SAAMI has standard dimensions for the 6mm-06 to compare.

Tom

shortgrass

The 6mm/06 is a wildcat, SAAMI only lists "standardized" cartridges. As a matter of fact, they are the organization that companies go to, to "standardize" a catridge. Check with the company/person who chambered the barrel for proper gauge selection. I'd assume it uses std. .30/06 head space gauges, that why it's the 6mm/06,,, but only the owner of the reamer knows for sure,,,,,,,,maybe.............

specweldtom

I wasn't sure, but I didn't think that SAAMI had standardized that cartridge....No factory ammo I guess.

That being the case, only the reamer owner (or grinder) would know for sure.

Tom