6MM-06 advice needed

CKTROTH

I am buying one tomorrow from a friend..I will get his data tomorrow, But I was wondering what all Powder options will I have. I have read all of the old threads here and have found h1000 and Retumbo. Any suggestions from Loaders of this Round will be greatly appreciated!!! I have nothing but time on my hands and have decided to tackle this beast inbetween surgeries. Thanks in advance...gun)

I see no one has responded. I don't have a 6mm-06 but do have a 6mm-284 which holds slightly less powder.

I switched to RL-33 and haven't looked back. RL-33 is a bit slower than Retumbo. A good starting spot is about 3/4 of max charge for what is recommended for Retumbo and work up.

You haven't mentioned bullet weight.

I am shooting the 105 Berger hybrid. Top load of 58 gr with Retumbo and 28" barrel yielded 3307 fps.

RL-33: Started with 58 gr of RL-33 and worked up to 64 grains which required a drop tube. 64 gr velocity is 3485 fps. I would imagine RL-33 will work well in your 6mm-06 too.

No disrespect intended. Do what I did...Google 6mm-06 and lots of info comes up. Hopefully, the 6mm-06 will also be the caliber of my next rifle. I got the donor action already. That was the easy part. Now comes the real BIG money!

I see no one has responded. I don't have a 6mm-06 but do have a 6mm-284 which holds slightly less powder.

I switched to RL-33 and haven't looked back. RL-33 is a bit slower than Retumbo. A good starting spot is about 3/4 of max charge for what is recommended for Retumbo and work up.

You haven't mentioned bullet weight.

I am shooting the 105 Berger hybrid. Top load of 58 gr with Retumbo and 28" barrel yielded 3307 fps.

RL-33: Started with 58 gr of RL-33 and worked up to 64 grains which required a drop tube. 64 gr velocity is 3485 fps. I would imagine RL-33 will work well in your 6mm-06 too.

Thanks for the reply......I am leaning Heavier than the 75 grain he was loading...I do have R33 on Hand. I just picked the Gun up today, and shot it a couple of times..Its a very nice round

No disrespect intended. Do what I did...Google 6mm-06 and lots of info comes up. Hopefully, the 6mm-06 will also be the caliber of my next rifle. I got the donor action already. That was the easy part. Now comes the real BIG money!

I have read some on Google but really have not seen a whole lot. I appreciate the comment and good Luck with your Build!!!!

If it's a full length 06 case look at the starting data for the .240 Weatherby Magnum. Only difference should be the radiused shoulder depending on how it's throated.

Good luck

Jerry

I don't have a 6mm-06 but I had a 6mm-280 for about 25 years. I'm getting ready to build a new one. You can make load development as time consuming as you want or you can just use H-1000 and be done.

If it's a full length 06 case look at the starting data for the .240 Weatherby Magnum. Only difference should be the radiused shoulder depending on how it's throated.

Good luck

Jerry

Thanks Jerry I have looked at 6.5-284 Data and now I will look at the 240 Weatherby...Taking a lot of notes on this one

I don't have a 6mm-06 but I had a 6mm-280 for about 25 years. I'm getting ready to build a new one. You can make load development as time consuming as you want or you can just use H-1000 and be done.

I found a new shop today and they can order H1000, I will order a lb Monday. TY for your comment and help.

What are you going to use for cases? I will be using 25.06 cases. You should be able to find 25.06 cases...It does take some looking. If you decide to use 25.06 cases and can't get any, shoot me a PM when you get to that stage. I could probably be persuaded to let a few go.

What are you going to use for cases? I will be using 25.06 cases. You should be able to find 25.06 cases...It does take some looking. If you decide to use 25.06 cases and can't get any, shoot me a PM when you get to that stage. I could probably be persuaded to let a few go.

I had 1 25-06 case not formed ( the cases that I did get with the gun were made of 25-06) I tried to resize it and a doughnut formed at the top of the shoulder. I could not get it out. So I did some more research and found that 270 was the choice of Forming. I spit 50 out quickly and found it was less stress on the RockChucker..I trimmed to 2.494 and every one of them cycled Great in the chamber. I think I have decided on the Berger 105's for projectiles, Unless somebody changes my mind. I have IMR 4350 on hand to try and then I will try some H1000 when I get it..Thats where I am at so far newmexkid.

Be careful with the 6mm-30-06 when forming the cases. Was the case designed on the actual 30-06 case or not???? Many of the smaller caliber 06 wildcats are actually built on 270 Win. Brass or 280 Rem. Brass both with a max length of 2.559 so the smaller cartridges will have a longer neck by .065 thousands. Max length of the 30-06 is length is 2.494 and 25-06 Rem. max length is 2.494. Be sure to select the right length case and be sure you trim to the right length. Good Luck on your new gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.