69 gr Nosler CC

bowhunthard88

Will a 220 Swift w/a 1:14" twist stabilize a 69 gr match bullet @ 2900-3100 fps? The throat is so long, it requires a long bullet.

Thanks.gun)

maybe........maybe not;)

Before you take the plunge I'd be willing so send you a few to test. These would be Sierra's.

Heck, I'd even send some 75 grain VLDs just for grins.

Lemme know.......

maybe........maybe not;)

Before you take the plunge I'd be willing so send you a few to test. These would be Sierra's.

Heck, I'd even send some 75 grain VLDs just for grins.

Lemme know.......

Thanks:). I really appreciate the offer, not many would go to the trouble. However, someone GAVE (wow) me a brand new box (100 unopened) of the 69 gr. Noslers because they didn't want to shoot them out of their .223.

Thanks again, I'll probably try them (can't hurt, right?) and let you know how they do;).

The Sierra Matchking 69 gr bullet box states "1-7" to 1-10" barrels only" so it will be interested to see what happens. Be sure to post and let us know.

I shoot them out of a 1-8" twist in my AR.

Hey guys,

Here's an update: fired two seperate groups of 3 shots each + 1 cold bore shot. 1.8 mph average breeze, 31.6 degrees F, @ 100 yds. Cartridges were loaded with Varget, with a COL of 2.805" for a .030 jump to the lands. gun)

First group averaged 2841 fps with 31 grs. @ 1.944" 3-shot group. 133 fps extreme spread.

Second group averaged 2984 fps with 32 grs. @ 3.187" 3-shot group. 58.87 fps extreme spread.

The 69 gr. Nosler CCs did not stabilize at all, they keyholed horribly :( with tears at .162" over bullet diameter. I was debating whether or not to use them for varmints 'cause they probably would cut them in half lol ;).

Back to the drawing board for a lighter bullet, the throat is extremely long though, probably eroded. So my jump to the lands is gonna have to be a lot longer.

Thanks.

I have some Hornady 52gr AMAXs and some Sierra 52gr MKs to play with, I guess. I really didn't want to shoot explosive bullets out of it as it will be used for larger varmints (coyotes, foxes, and bobcats). I use the 52gr Speers in my 22-250 Rem and the 50gr VMAXs in my 222 Rem and they're both deadly, but not really what I'm looking for. I also have some 50gr Speer SPs and Sierra 55gr SPs. Gonna hafta see what shoots lol.gun)

I'll post some pics of the gun when I get a chance.:)

ah..........the vintage look. I like it. Friend did his first 500yd chuck shooting with that same scope. Brings back memories.

Visited your web page. Impressive.

Noted that your 204 is a bit flatter than your swift. Hmmmmmm, something to think about..

Boy oh Boy,

I haven't seen one of those in years. They are sure neat rifles. I'm guessing that the throat is shot out. It being a pre 64 and a .220 Swift to boot. Have the Barrel set back and re chambered to get a little more life out of the bbl. If not, re-barrel the thing, It's sure worth it, especially that type of rifle.

Dan

Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice, here's some pics of my gun.

lightbulbWinchester pre-'64 model 70 hunter grade

Looks like the one I sold a few years back. I got it from a neighbor had a 3/4" 12 power Inertal scope on it. Neat rifle shot well too. Nice vintage piece you have there. Mine loved the 50 grainers.
Was going on P'dog hunt and didn't want to shoot the barrel out so I sold it and got me a spiffy new Savage custom rifle in Swift, now I have switch barrel rifle. Should have never sold it!

Hey guys,

I'm kinda playing with this gun, nothing really serious. I would like to get it to shoot, tho. Trying the 52gr bullet from Sierra, Speer, and Hornady, maybe a 53gr Sierra also.

My 22-250 is my primary gun tho, it's sweet. Probably gonna DuraCoat the stock tho.

Thanks for the advice, but I would like to keep this rifle original. I was told, because this rifle has a nickel-steel, non-finished barrel and other specific details, the combo is worth about $5200. So...

Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.