65gr Sierra Gamekings and Varget/H335

Denny2277

Hello everyone, if you've ever tried to find load data for this bullet on line then you know that there's not very much out there. I did alittle testing and decided I'd post some of the results. I've been trying to come up with a hunting load for my AR for a couple of months now and I've finally come up with something I think will work. If you've got anything else out there let me know.
I started with CCI primers 400 small rifle, I had Hodgdons Varget and H335 on hand, I also had Remington, and LC once fired brass. My load for each powder was 25.3 grains.
The most accurate load was with the LC brass and the Varget with a five shot average of 2770fps. I chronied at about 10 feet off muzzle with a .5 MOA and 100 yards.
The fastest load was with the H335 and Remington brass, with the five shot average being 3031fps at about 10 feet off the muzzle. The group opened up to about 1.5 MOA with this combo.
I worked up to all these loads and this is as high as I'm willing to go with my rifle. It's a Rock River Arms ATH Carbine, with an 18" barrel and 1:8 twist. The primers started to flatten alittle at this point and I didn't want to go any higher.
If I could get the accuacy of the Varget with the speed of the H335 and no temp sensitivity I'd have my load. LOL

Last edited:
Thanks Nomad and Jon. I think I'm going to give Tac a try next. I'll post what I come up with if anyone is interested. Jon, do you know what the min/max load is for the XBR?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.