600yards and in, how important are bubble levels?

I was introduced to the bubble just a while back. makes perfect sense. If you do mount the scope level with the rifle, it doesn't help if you cant the setup. I don't use a level when putting up targets, so they can be tilted. If you line up crosshairs with the target, you will be canted and not notice it, til you see your bullets going off to one side. The further out the target or game, the more pronounced it becomes; especially if the target is a tiny prairie dog past 100 yds!
Putting the level on the scope is a matter of personal preference, but I like mine on the left and further out on the scope tube so I can see it with my left eye as my right eye focuses on the target. More you use it, the easier it becomes. I promise you, you will notice a good difference, especially when group shooting even at 100 yds. Yeah, small there, but then you will realize that errant shot was not you , but a canted rifle.

Do you need one for 600 yards in, no. You can shoot accurate for hunting purposes without one. Will it help your shooting at 500- 600, yeah it can help a little. Past 5-600 is when being a little off cant starts to magnify and becomes more of an issue.

My dad and I tried it once long time ago and threw it away. My dad always has his scope/recticle crooked, always. He had an accident when he as 18, his cousin and him were sighting in his 243 and the rifle was accidentally discharged, hit his left forearm and almost blew off his arm, literally was hanging on by some nerves and skin.

He lost most flexibility in his arm, meaning he could not turn his arm/wrist to the left or right, it was just kinda straight. So he had to hold his rifle a little differently and crooked and he got used to it. If you ever grabbed his rifle and looked through the scope it almost looked like an X instead of a cross LOL.

The way I set mine was straight when compared to the bubble so since then found no real need for it and it has not affected my dial ups.

Stay safe

Any time you dial a scope for elevation, you need some way of making sure it's level/plumb. Even at 600, you add in being off level, and maybe missing your wind call a little, it's easily enough to cause a bad hit. Being an accurate long range hunter is all about removing as many variables as possible, using a bubble level is one way to completely remove that particular variable. I don't care how good you think your eye is, or how much "muscle memory" you have, you get into the mountains where nothing is plumb or level, you're just guessing.

This video does a great job of demonstrating why you need one.

Why Every Rifle Needs an Anti Cant Bubble Level - YouTube

It obviously depends on how crooked your scope is relative to the bore, how canted your rifle is when you shoot, and your expectations as far as precision or accuracy.

For the most part I think many well practiced shooters could get away without one and still shoot pretty well on mid range shots.

I personally use them religiously. Its too easy quick and simple to use for me to not use, and then wonder how much is left on the table.

Any time you dial a scope for elevation, you need some way of making sure it's level/plumb. Even at 600, you add in being off level, and maybe missing your wind call a little, it's easily enough to cause a bad hit. Being an accurate long range hunter is all about removing as many variables as possible, using a bubble level is one way to completely remove that particular variable. I don't care how good you think your eye is, or how much "muscle memory" you have, you get into the mountains where nothing is plumb or level, you're just guessing.

Really,...... I'll just keep guessing,

The question is do you need it 600 yards and under. In your scenario you missed your wind call that caused a bad hit, that happens anytime you missed your wind call.

I agree levels are more important when you get in long distances like 1K

Go do some real word testing shoot at 5- 600 then cant your gun a little and shoot at 600 see if you still hit a 10 inch gone. I've done it, I know a little can't won't affect you making a kill shot. If I was trying to win a 600 yard match it would be more important to hit a 4 inch circle rather than a Heart/lung shot on a deer

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.