600 Yards Max for Whitetail: 7mm STW vs 6.5 Creedmoor

Dilemma:

I have a VX6HD 3-18X44 coming with the illuminated TMOA reticle. I have a Remington Sendero FS 7mm STW and a Tikka T3x 6.5 Creedmoor. I hunt large ag fields and the woods so I can shoot anywhere from 10 yards to 500-600 yards and the quarry is whitetail only.

I am trying to decide on which rifle to put the scope. The Sendero is heavy but spooky accurate. It's great for the box blind but I'm iffy about hauling it around in the woods in the treestand. The Tikka T3x is light and shoulders great and the 6.5 Creedmoor recoil is light. Its a great handling gun.

Comfort wise I like the Tikka in 6.5 Creedmoor vs the 7mm STW but the STW has some impressive ballistics.

Between a 7mm STW and a 6.5 Creedmoor, which would you choose as a better choice for an all around deer rifle from woods to fields? BTW I also have a Tikka T3 .308 with a 22" barrel that is a sporter rifle.
Shoot the STW in the fields and the .308 in the woods. Why try and make one do everything when you have options that are better suited for the task at hand?

Yup, sure... That's why we have dumped many deer over the years in excess of 400 yards with a lowly 243 and a flat based bullet. I am not really a fan of the 6.5 creed, but that statement sells it way short...
I didn't figure anyone would that post seriously....

The 7MM STW is a known barrel burner so I would rule that one out.
The 6.5CM is known to be overrated and bullets, especially Nosler, Hornady, Sierra and Barnes, do not penetrate so rule that one out.
That leaves only one really logical choice.
I disagree, What's the definition of a barrel burner ?????

7mm STW is an Iroc Z, mullet,Budweiser and Twisted Sister

6.5 cm is a latte and a scarf.

this is funny but wouldn't help me decide. I enjoy twisted sister, used to have a mullet, am fond of both beer and lattes (got an espresso maker, that and my savage 300 win mag are the two possessions i enjoy the most), live in a place that gets cold enough for a scarf to just make good sense at times. But I don't have a 7stw or a 6.5 creed! On the to do list I suppose!

I disagree, What's the definition of a barrel burner ?????
I'm with you. It always baffles me seeing people complain about barrel burners on a long range hunting forum! Especially as half of us are itching for an excuse to justify buying a new rifle as it is! The faster it burns out the sooner you "need" to try something new.

I shake my head at some of the stuff I see on this forum. We're talking whitetail deer here, not elephants. 6.5 creed is more than capable of taking deer at 600 yards. People sell it short just because they dislike the cartridge. Take whichever one you shoot the best and feel most confident in. All the cartridges you just listed are perfectly fine. Having said all that, I hunt with a 7mm rem mag just because I love that round.
WDM Bell used a 7x57mm for elephants! Talk about critical shot placement 🙃!

I shake my head at some of the stuff I see on this forum. We're talking whitetail deer here, not elephants. 6.5 creed is more than capable of taking deer at 600 yards. People sell it short just because they dislike the cartridge. Take whichever one you shoot the best and feel most confident in. All the cartridges you just listed are perfectly fine. Having said all that, I hunt with a 7mm rem mag just because I love that round.
I feel the same way about the STW as you do the 7mm Rem Mag......

I have all the 6,5s 6.5 X 284 WIN 6.5 X 55 SWEDE and 6.5 Creedmore. I also have the 7mm STW and I find myself grabbing the STW most times going out the door. Shooting the 140 Swift A Frame it is a deadly machine, I have the Leupold Vx6 on it.

I'm getting the VX6HD tomorrow and will have mounted it on my FS Sendero ready for the range Saturday. The 7mm STW shoots little groups at 100 once its dialed in.

Attachments

• 7122CE9D-6D4F-4B3E-8F54-252F8067B05C.jpeg
    7122CE9D-6D4F-4B3E-8F54-252F8067B05C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 80
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.