600 Yards Max for Whitetail: 7mm STW vs 6.5 Creedmoor

Dilemma:

I have a VX6HD 3-18X44 coming with the illuminated TMOA reticle. I have a Remington Sendero FS 7mm STW and a Tikka T3x 6.5 Creedmoor. I hunt large ag fields and the woods so I can shoot anywhere from 10 yards to 500-600 yards and the quarry is whitetail only.

I am trying to decide on which rifle to put the scope. The Sendero is heavy but spooky accurate. It's great for the box blind but I'm iffy about hauling it around in the woods in the treestand. The Tikka T3x is light and shoulders great and the 6.5 Creedmoor recoil is light. Its a great handling gun.

Comfort wise I like the Tikka in 6.5 Creedmoor vs the 7mm STW but the STW has some impressive ballistics.

Between a 7mm STW and a 6.5 Creedmoor, which would you choose as a better choice for an all around deer rifle from woods to fields? BTW I also have a Tikka T3 .308 with a 22" barrel that is a sporter rifle.
At least get something in the 24x power range. Both will shoot to 1200y STW 1Mile

for hunting I wouldn't personally shoot past 500y with the 6.5CM, STW no problem going to 600.

Dilemma:

I have a VX6HD 3-18X44 coming with the illuminated TMOA reticle. I have a Remington Sendero FS 7mm STW and a Tikka T3x 6.5 Creedmoor. I hunt large ag fields and the woods so I can shoot anywhere from 10 yards to 500-600 yards and the quarry is whitetail only.

I am trying to decide on which rifle to put the scope. The Sendero is heavy but spooky accurate. It's great for the box blind but I'm iffy about hauling it around in the woods in the treestand. The Tikka T3x is light and shoulders great and the 6.5 Creedmoor recoil is light. Its a great handling gun.

Comfort wise I like the Tikka in 6.5 Creedmoor vs the 7mm STW but the STW has some impressive ballistics.

Between a 7mm STW and a 6.5 Creedmoor, which would you choose as a better choice for an all around deer rifle from woods to fields? BTW I also have a Tikka T3 .308 with a 22" barrel that is a sporter rifle.
Whichever is more accurate at all range and you shot the best sounds like stw

Dilemma:

You're thread title left me scratching my head at first - along the lines of comparing and contrasting a Honda Civic with an F350, worlds apart, no meaningful comparison, they're both great at what they do and they're meant for completely different things - but reading the post I see your dilemma. Honestly I just love the idea of the big 7 but if we're going to be practical and sensible and such I say go with your 6.5 solely because you say you find it a more comfortable rifle and if deer are all that's in the plan the stw is awesome but entirely unnecessary.

im in a similar position though...I have a sporter weight/size 270 and a heavier, longer 300 win mag. for my hunting the .270 is plenty of horsepower, I'm confident with it, and the rifle is MUCH nicer to walk around with...and yet I find myself lugging thatbig heavy rifle around for no good reason other than "because I want to use that one". So whatever you choose I don't think you can choose wrong and would be a bit of a hypocrite to say otherwise :)

Not what you asked but if you are in the stand before sunup and in the stand till dark as I do . Why would you choose a scope less than 50-56 MM bell ? Here in our deep woods you loose light earlier than in an open been field .throw on that a cloudy day and more than likely you are gone when the critter you pursue arrives with 44mm scope . Just asking Sir .

Dilemma:

I'm biased on this question. I'm usually hunting with a .257 WBY. This year I'm taking my 7STW for my yearly hunt in Wyoming. I've found a very accurate load for it and I like the ballistics for longer shots. it's certainly not a lightweight rifle, but the ability to send a long shot with accuracy and terminal performance make it my choice.

Dilemma:

why would you even think about hauling your long range Scoped rifle in the woods hunting for White tail ? that is 30-30 lever action country. small enough for a Rabbit and big enough for a Bear, 0 to 200 yds.

If I was only to prepare one of the rifles it would definitely be the 6.5 Creedmoor because the 7MM STW will destroy too much meat on a whitetail. With a 600 yard max you can easily have a drop chart taped inside your scope cover.

If you were to say all shots would be 300+ yards, I would opt for the 7MM STW, but at shorter ranges this cartridge will shred whitetails.

If I was only to prepare one of the rifles it would definitely be the 6.5 Creedmoor because the 7MM STW will destroy too much meat on a whitetail. With a 600 yard max you can easily have a drop chart taped inside your scope cover.

If you were to say all shots would be 300+ yards, I would opt for the 7MM STW, but at shorter ranges this cartridge will shred whitetails.

Is there a blank label available from an ammo retailer for sticking in a scope cover?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts