600 yard Qualification

hunter0528

Our Gun Club is in the process of finishing building a 600 yard range, and I'm on the committee. We are looking to see what other clubs have for both restrictions of use and Qualifications for members. If any of you have anything like this for your club I would appreciate it. No need to reinvent the wheel, and just the sincerest form of flatter is plagiarism:)

I wouldn't go overboard on restrictions...but a knowledgeable RO would be a good thing to have around on that range...at least until you "feel it out" for what might need to be done to meet the requirements of the members using it.

It really depends on how much of a safety zone you have BEYOND your intended impact area. Because someday some one is going to discharge his 338 ICBM in an elevated position, and then where is the bullet going to land?
If you have not contacted the NRA yet, that would be a good place to start.

There are lots of options:
1) The range is open ONLY when there is a CERTIFIED RSO to supervise.
2) Restrict the caliber that can be used.
3) Overhead baffles filled with gravel to stop the bullet. (VERY expensive)

Dave

Shooting Range - Services

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/public_range_grant_app.pdf

Currently we are looking to allowing Rifles only that meet either DCM or CMP competition requirements. You must meet be qualified for the 600 to use any of the other ranges available on the 600yd range. (We have a 100 and 200 yard of which to qualify on the 200 you need to place 5 shots into 5 inches, from a rest, any sight). If you hold a NRA score card you will be qualified.

We do not have Miles and Miles of space available for back range, as some clubs do, so this is why I was wondering what restrictions or other quaifications other clubs in the country might have.

Thanks

I wouldn't restrict the type of rifle. That could be a barrier for getting more people involved in the sport down the road. One really good qualification that I have seen is that a person who wishes to shoot at the longer range must first present a ballistic card for the ammo and gun they are using. They then must demonstrate theoretically that they can use their sighting system to accurately shoot at the distance, and then they must demonstrate physically that they posses the marksmanship fundamentals and their equipment is accurate enough to shoot that far by shooting a target at 300 yards and then 600 yards in the presence of the RSO. They then must have a ballistic card on their person for each weapon and ammunition, subject to inspection by the RSO. Seems to be a good way to make sure the shooter is capable, independent of the equipment, while also making sure the shooter is doing their own due diligence to responsibly shoot at distance.

Right now they are presenting this to the board of directors as a 600 yd range for CMP and DCM Matches. This explains why the types of rifles. I my self would like to be able to use my HK91. The reason, initially for the restrictions is the Match concept and how matches are run at Perry. Later we hope to open to other types of shooting, Benchrest, sniper, ect., but for now to get started this is what we think will pass the board of directors.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.