600 Yard Gun

Terry Brady

I have ordered a 6.5 1-8 twist barrel.We are going to start shooting 600 yrds.in January.What would you chamber it in that would give me the most accuacy at 600?

In HighPower competition, the 6.5mm cartridge that dominates the choices for across-the-course shooting is the 6.5-08, or .260 Remington. Great accuracy, gets the high B.C. bullets going plenty fast, and you can still hang onto the thing, and you can shoot all season (2-3k rounds for serious competitors) long w/o having to replace the barrel.

If you anticipate shooting fewer rounds, or have deeper pockets to pay for barrels, the 6.5-06AI and 6.5-284 are popular choices. All are plenty accurate for long range shooting and competition. Pick yer poison
wink.gif

Monte

I'll back up what milanuk said.
260 for a lot of rounds and if you handload.
I don't know of any match quality factory stuff available for it.
6.5-284 for less rounds handloaded or fed Black Hills ammo. BH does catalog it but they do make it, you'll have to call 'em for availability.

Are shooting the NRA Highpower or the new IBS Benchrest 600 format?

Depending on which one, that will determine caliber. The Highpower does not care where in the 10 or x ring as long as in it, in the 600 BR they better be sub 2.5" or better group to win a relay.

High power guys are not worried about "the most accuracy" they need "acceptable accuracy" and long barrel life, BR looks for the highest accuracty first.

two different goals and will demand two different cartridges in most cases.

Pick your goal first.

BH

<snip heavily edited post>

Ahhh... I think those who discount the caliber choices in HighPower just because of the method of scoring are making a big mistake. I'd wager many 'match' rifles are more accurate than you might think, as most shooters want every point they hold for, even w/ iron sights. At distance, wind is the big devil, not the mechanical accuracy of the gun or load (after a certain point) and the only way to over come that is thru time behind the trigger, i.e. more rounds down range. Me, I resent the time that *my* gun is away at the gunsmiths even more than I do the cost of a new barrel. But feel free to choose based on your own criteria.

Monte

[ 11-12-2003: Message edited by: milanuk ]

Terry,

I would look at the 6.5x55 or the 6.5x55AI Steve Shelp is shooting like a house a fire with his AI at 1000 yd BR.

Mark

Terry...,Mark is exactly right in regards to the 6.5x55AI,this can be loaded down to the level of the 6.5x08 or up to the 6.5x284 with out surrering in either accuracy or barrel life....The difference between 600yd and 1K bench does not exist,if you go to the line with a 1/2 minute gun unless you are a lucky person you will not win ...On the other hand if your ideal aiming point is a 10 inch dia circle a score of 200 .20x is there for the taking...An ideal load @2900 to 2950fps in the 6.5x55AI will also give longer barrel life than the 260r thats being pushed..Go with the 4350 powder series for all round best results..JR..Jeff Rogers

Ummmm... hmm. Ok. I'll confess to not having used the 6.5x55. But I'm not followin how a cartridge w/ slightly greater powder capacity (hence it sends more grains of powder down the bore every shot) pushing the same bullet at the same or slightly higher velocities equates to longer barrel life. Not saying it hasn't, or can't happen, but it does seem a little counter-intuitive. Care to fill me in here?

Thanks,

Monte

Monte,Sorry for not quantifing my statements earlier..In my area of the world the 6.5x55AI can and has played the game right up there with the best in "Long range Benchrest" and the 6.5x 308 is not to be seen in any results anywhere..The reason for the better case life is A :-a 40 thou longer neck.B:-the 40 deg shoulder angle.C:- the ability to shoot accurately and at the right speed for the projectile with the same charge of a 4350 style powder as the 08 version uses of a 4831 style ..We have found it necessary to use only approx 46 to 47gns of H4350 (ADI 2209powder)to get 2935fps ..JR.ps...I have checked the results of the major benchrest sites in your country and cannot find a single 260 or 6.5x08 that is winning but i can find the '55AI .

Fair enough. I guess I'm the odd man out here because I don't necessarily consider what's the norm in BR to be the end-all be-all of the universe of 'what works' at any given range. Others do, and they have their (justifiable) reasons. My personal 'style' of LR shooting/hunting usually involves some packing in of the equipment, not terribly far, but further than I'd want to carry a full bench setup (about 10 yards max!). So I start looking to other disciplines, like F-class, Long Range Highpower, and Tactical matches. The 6.5-08 doesn't exactly dominate there either, but it doesn't do to shabby either.

I'm not entirely sure why the 6.5-08 wouldn't be competitive if someone really put their mind to it ( and no, I'm not volunteering for that one! other priorities!). I mean, the parent cartridge is wonderfully accurate. Most of the derivative cartridges are at least above average w/ regards to accuracy. It gets to 600, or even 1000yds w/ speed to spare, and the available bullets are the same as any other 6.5mm. 100fps isn't a whole hell of a lot of difference in terms of actual clicks on the sight, whether it's irons or scoped (assuming 1/4 MOA clicks. Perhaps a different matter if using 1/8 MOA clicks).

Anywho, I'm going to give the soap box a rest for a while. If no one else wants to shoot the 6.5-08 because it's not a 'real' BR cartrige, hey, that just makes brass that much easier (and cheaper) for me to find! To each their own
wink.gif

YMMV,

Monte

Monte,I think the last part of your post says it all ,as long as "your happy" with the combo you shoot for both target and hunting thats all that matters...What will make me happy is a gun wins consistently at the two distances i choose to compete at... My interest in carrying a 60 lbs+ gun in the field is nil so it's competition for me and the reason for me responding to Terry's original question..JR..Jeff Rogers

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.