600 yard deer rifle

I'm not surprised by this video at all, I would be amazed if they randomly picked say 100 riffles and shot them at the same distance, riffles like shown in the video are one of the kind, I would say 1:1,000 ratio maybe more and since this is a commercial I wouldn't trust everything I see, myself I have special touch when buying riffles I usually get defective ones right out of the box, it doesn't mean that every other riffle is bad out there, but it tells me that manufactures done very bad QA job by letting this stuff out…

a friend competes in factory 600yds comps. along with light and heavy gun classes. He tells me they might as well be called the savage(factory) class. Now with the caliber of shooter he is and competes against. I guess you can't argue their accuracy when world record holders shoot them for factory class. If you are skeptical go to a match and talk to the best. I get a chance often since one works with me. The Jamboree in SD is a good place to go. When it says WORLD RECORD HOLDER or SHOOTER OF THE YEAR behind their name that is enough proof for me.

Brent

Last edited:
Hello,I'm looking to get an out of the box 600 yard deer rifle.but I need some help.I was thinking of the rem 700 Sendero sf II chambered in300 win mag.What do you Think?gun)

I just checked out the Remington site and looked at what they had in the Sendero and what really caught my eye was the 264 win mag. Would that not be an awsome med/long range deer rifle and cartridge? It should be sweet to shoot but have some excellent ballistic capabilities.lightbulb
I think the 300 win would be nice but to get the ballistics you start shooting some heavier hitters which are really not needed for med range deer.
The Sendero is really nice, they are proud of it but is seems that they should be. I love the barrels, I think I need a Sendero contour on my Savage, might make it less ugly.So I say if going Rem. go Sendero but look at the 264 win.

The 6.5x284 is a favorite for long range deer/ek hunter especially from a show called "The Best of the West", the 264 win mag packs about anther 150fps faster than the 6.5x284. So yes, it is a sweet gun.

My vote is 7mm rm or 300 wm. The 300 packs more energy(plenty for 600 yards) and the 7mm goes farther(faster velocity so the bullet still expands). Both guns will give instant DRT with the right bullet.

I like this conversation going back and forth on savage vs remington while we are shooting t/c encore for long range(up to 1000 yards). :D

I'm not surprised by this video at all, I would be amazed if they randomly picked say 100 riffles and shot them at the same distance, riffles like shown in the video are one of the kind, I would say 1:1,000 ratio maybe more and since this is a commercial I wouldn't trust everything I see, myself I have special touch when buying riffles I usually get defective ones right out of the box, it doesn't mean that every other riffle is bad out there, but it tells me that manufactures done very bad QA job by letting this stuff out…

Maybe this is one of a kind too ...

Tactical-Life.com » Maximized Savage 110 Tactical .308

Now that explains the username! :D

a friend competes in factory 600yds comps. along with light and heavy gun classes. He tells me they might as well be called the savage(factory) class. Now with the caliber of shooter he is and competes against. I guess you can't argue their accuracy when world record holders shoot them for factory class. If you are skeptical go to a match and talk to the best. I get a chance often since one works with me. The Jamboree in SD is a good place to go. When it says WORLD RECORD HOLDER or SHOOTER OF THE YEAR behind their name that is enough proof for me.

Brent

Ok, but what if you give your friend a Remington, I bet he would shoot just as good, except that they don't want to spend the money for the Remington when Savage has the same accuracy for less money. Also Savage has out of the box competition type rifles, something that Remington has not really catered to as much as Savage.

The thing about remington is that you can take one of their first Remington 700 from 1962 and use the parts in a 2009 version and vise versa, can't do that with a Savage. It seems that they change the action every couple of years or so. I guess what I'm saying is that Remington got it right from the get go with their actions and Savage is just now getting there.

Go with the Sendero in 300 WM, you won't be disappointed.

-X3M

Maybe this is one of a kind too ...

Tactical-Life.com » Maximized Savage 110 Tactical .308

Now that explains the username! :D

Nice looking Savage, I thought of getting one, but changed my mind since there are no factory guaranties that it will shoot as many people say it would, so after searching for a while I came upon this
http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/icon_warlord.php
Its guaranty to shoot 1/2 MOA or better, but the price of it does bite so I went with smaller brother of his which didn't make in to ½ MOA
http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/icon_precision_hunter.php

Here guy got to shoot 0.37 MOA, during my test I was able to place 0.315 MOA on the second try after neck sizing fire formed brass.

An Icon of Precision

Ok, but what if you give your friend a Remington, I bet he would shoot just as good, except that they don't want to spend the money for the Remington when Savage has the same accuracy for less money. Also Savage has out of the box competition type rifles, something that Remington has not really catered to as much as Savage.

-X3M

WOW X3M, sounds like you are trying to talk yourself into a Savage. Welcome to the darkside. My brother has a Savage from the late 80's in 7mm RM. After working up a hand load, sanding a tight spot out of the stock, and trigger adjustment, it is now very capable of .5MOA on a factory barrel. It is not a factory competition rifle by any stretch. It is a 22" mountain weight rifle with a scope that he got as a package deal. It is nicknamed the meat wagon. When it fires, something dies.

Tank

X3MHunter, you are probably right my friend will probably shoot as well with any rifle.
Why they choose savages I don't know all I know is they do.

Brent

Tank,

Actually, I just sold my Savage today...Life is too short to own a Savage. Really good shooting rifle but everything else I have has a Remington action or Rem. clone so that's why I'm sticking with what works. Again, nothing against Savage accuracy, that rifle would shoot .400" at 100 yds, but it's just that I would rather have a Remington.

Here's how I look at it. If there was an ugly woman (Savage) and a pretty woman (Remington) that could satisfy a man equally, which one would you pick or show off to your friends?
Most people would pick the pretty one, eventhough it costs more money. LOL:D

-X3M

I like your anology. I have to agree they aren't the prettiest in the world but neither am I. I don't own a savage or remington. My customs are built off of pheonix and lawton actions.

Brent

Last edited:
Hmm the Savage I got rid of was good looking one BTH stock, smooth barrel nut and acutriger, but I am keeping an old and ugly one with synthetic stock and no acutriger. So new and inexperienced which never saw real action for the exception of target range had to leave, guess what I'm taking out when hunting season starts :D

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts