600 yard accuracy

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice on the 308 winchester. I have a factory 308 (Rem 700) heavy barrel with a McMillan stock. What I want to do is rebarrel my rifle. What I am trying to accomplish is .250 at 100 yards. .750-1.000 at 300 yards and 1.500-2.000 at 600 yards.

Can anyone help me with what make of barrel, bullet type and weight and twist combo would be best suited to acomplish this task??
confused.gif

Thank you all for your input

talk to george. he'll square ya away. if i'm not mistaken, he only uses mike rock and obermeyer barrels, and he's definitely the smith for accuracy.

-brian

Your request is do-able. The key is going to be selecting a top barrel. For a job like this, you need to get a barrel in the league of Krieger (aka "Rolls Royce"), Pac-Nor, Shilen, Lilja, etc. Nothing less than the best barrel made by the top-name competition builders will qualify.

Next, you'll need to have it chambered properly with, ideally, a match reamer, and screwed into a "blueprinted" action. These are standard "bread-and-butter" operations for any gunsmith used to working on target rifles. For your info, International Palma shooters must take 155-grain .308s out to 1000 yards, and Krieger barrels are the King of the Hill.

The recommendation of 175-grain Sierra Matchking or 178 Hornady A-Max is excellent, unless you want to shoot Palma, which requires a 155-grain bullet.

For this job, the best powders are probably either Varget, Reloder 15 or Vihtavuori N550.

Finally, choose decent brass (Lapua being the ideal, but Winchester Palma brass is also excellent and cheaper) and use a match primer.

The rest is just practice.
smile.gif

If the 175 is your ideal bullet, I'd go with a 1-11" twist. Krieger makes it. Of course, a 1-10" would work fine, too, but the 1-11 would probably be ideal with that bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts