$600 coyote rifle scope?

Vortex diamondback 3.5x10x50 between $200 and $300 it's not a $5000 scope but I have them on 2 different 270s and I really like them. Nice glass too. I would make sure you get the one with the bdc reticle.

Low power if you are calling them and not sniping them. They don't hold still very long. If there is more than one, the second will be moving away rather quickly!!! Here's an out of the box suggestion. Vortex 1-8 Strike Eagle. I have one on a 22 Nosler AR. Pure Coyote poison...

Vortex diamondback 3.5x10x50 between $200 and $300 it's not a $5000 scope but I have them on 2 different 270s and I really like them. Nice glass too. I would make sure you get the one with the bdc reticle.

If you don't want a 30mm tube and prefer 1", the diamondback HP scopes are pretty nice. I had the 3-12x42 version for a while mounted on a 7mm WSM. The HPs are upgraded glass from the regular diamondback line - somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I think I read somewhere they use the same glass as the viper line, its just in a 1" tube package and has the paralax adjustment on the side. I am pretty sure they make a 4-16x42 diamondback hp version as well. You would be way under budget with something like this.

I have always been of the opinion that if you max out your budget on glass you will never regret it. If you are ok to buy used (which I am) you can get a lot of scope for a good deal. used vortex pst gen 1's for $600 ish are a great example. Even Midway had a clearance on their 6-24x50 pst for like $579 (SFP) a couple days ago - by the time i had a second to go buy one they were sold out. I had a 4-16x50 PST for a while and was disappointed with the clarity. I called Vortex about it and they admitted that they had several complaints about the 4-16x50 PSTs and that they clarity was much better in their 6-24x50 versions, which has been my experience as well.

For that price range, I would buy 1 of the new 4X16X42 Toric scopes which have most of the New bells and whistles. Bed and free float the barrel. (The eye relief on some of the above, are to close for my liking). Also, have a New Custom trigger installed and set @ 2#....These items will make a BIG difference in accuracy.

There are a lot of good options listed here.

+1 for the secondary market, especially if you don't know exactly what you want. your dollar will go farther there, and scopes hold their value pretty well - if you buy smart, you may be be able to get your money back out of it when it comes time to upgrade.

Lots of good scopes suggested.

I used a Leupold VXR Patrol 3-9x40 on my .223 this last season, and for a pure predator scope, inside 500yd I think it's hard to beat. The reticle is a bit thick for P-dogs, so I switched over to a vortex razor LH 3-15x42 for the spring. Technically the razor is a much 'better' scope but when the snow flies I'll be going back to the vxr. It seems like the tougher conditions become, the better the VXR Patrol performs. Poor lighting, complicated backgrounds, and brief opportunities at moving targets is what this scope is built for.

-it's compact and durable
-the reticle thick - it doesn't get lost which ive had happen with 'varmint' or target style reticles,
-can dial and/or hold - Mil/Mil simplicity.
-I prefer the firedot illumination to an 'illuminated reticle'. Easier for getting on target, especially when light and time are not on my side.
-fixed paralax is one less thing to worry about, low magnification reduces parallax error.

I don't see a lot of praise for the vxr Patrol 3-9x40, but for a coyote gun it gets my recommendation.

I have a 1st gen PST 4-16 on my coyote AR (which doubles as my prairie dog rifle. Works well, but it is a little high power for close in shots. I've had a couple run in without stopping...very hard to shoot a running coyote at 25 yards with a 4x. Much harder to do it at 16x when you forget to lower the mag back down before calling!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.