6 to 8 months for a barrel

snox801

Any ideas why its taking so long to get barrels harts seems to be six months out. Is it demand or the just in time business model. Or " not so just in time". Just curious im in no hurry just wondering.

Any ideas why its taking so long to get barrels harts seems to be six months out. Is it demand or the just in time business model. Or " not so just in time". Just curious im in no hurry just wondering.

It is the demand. All of the quality barrel makers are a minimum of 12 weeks.

The anti- gun nuts are trying to stop us from buying fire arms, ammo, loading componants
and everything else. so people are hoarding all related items.

J E CUSTOM

I called Kreiger yesterday to get a status on my barrel. I asked if my wait of 10 months (so far) is normal. I was told yes and they are quoting folks 7+ months. Still no word when mine will get shipped.

Sure! Ought to jump right on that! AH! Wait a minute,,,,, there aren't any used sine bar rifling machines to be had. Only luck would put you on one. Could build Bill Webbs rifling machine from scratch. OK,, we'll button rifle barrels. AH! NO machine! Another "I'll have to design and build "! Deep hole drilling? Definately need a a true hole, that's nice and smooth, before either rifling method is attempted. And, oh yes, then barrels will need to be contoured, unless everyone can live with 1 1/4" no taper. Be kinda' heavy to tote around a 8,000ft., or much of anywhere, for that matter. From the truck to the bench! Experience "hand lappin",,,,, like I said,, EXPERIENCE. I've seen lots of written material on "HOW",,,, the question is how many do you ruin and re-bore to a larger caliber before ya' figure the 'tricks' out to doing it right.And then there's steel. 4140HT isn't hard to come by, unless you're gonna' be picky about the consistancy. There is some good CM to be had. Stainless steel you say? Seems every custom barrel maker has their prefered 'blend'. It comes by the truck load,,, that's 40,000 lbs. +. And finally, the skillls needed to set-up and operate these machine tools. Buttons? Hart still makes theirs in house as I'm sure others who button rifle do, too. Cutters for "cut rifling"? Those will have to be made 'in house', too. That means "tool making" experience and the tool and cutter grinders to make those tools/buttons with. By the time ya' had this all figured out, the "crunch" could be over. Wasn't that long ago I could order a barrel and have it in 4-6 weeks at my shop door. Not for the faint of hart. Only for those who know they can "build a better mouse trap" and have the time and resources to follow their dream. And, if the mouse trap is better,,,,,, profit!

Shortgrass...

It's not as bad as the last go-around when you couldn't even find primers (I almost resorted to making my own.....).

I suspect, after the election, depending on the outcome, everything will ease up and the 'hoarders' will quit hoarding and hopefully components will quit increasing in cost...... for a while.

Still not as bad as last time.

I'll be in NM hunting at election time. Already voted 'absentee'.

......far as barrel making machinery goes, if you come equipped with a large enough wallet, anything is possible and doable.

It's human nature to 'want it now' and whine if it don't happen.

Now if the Chinese were making this stuff, there would be no wait but the rejection rate would be high......

Candidly, I'm under the assumption that 6-9 months for a barrel is absurd and a product of poor management, greed, lack of foresight or a combination of all 3.

When your lead times get that protracted, it's time to refuse to accept any more orders or state up front that it will be a looooooooong time.

That eliminates the whining and disgruntled customers an d in the end, perpetuates your business.

I've used Hart as my "go to" brand for several years now. When Karen says 12-13 weeks I've got my order in that time frame. If she says 4-6, her word is good. Same for Tim at Broughton. Don't know about some of the others, my customer usually supplies them and either has it shipped to me or hand delivers it. I let him deal with the maker, especially if he can't make up his mind as to what he wants (and there's a bunch of that, lately!). In todays business climate, I can see why they don't want to aquire more equipment not to mention the quality employees to operate it. And, IMO, the 'brand name' barrel makers all make good barrels. The problem comes, with some, that demand a certain brand because "it's the best". Then, any company can become over loaded. Some choose to address their back log some go in the wrong direction and start other lines instead of concentrating on their 'base' product. And, you've got to remember, most of these barrel makers are small, family owned business where the owner/s are heavily involved with the making of the product that wears their name. I've spoken with Jim Hart, several times. He makes the 'buttons' in his shop. The more orders the more buttons needed. If he turns button mking over to someone else, so he could be working on 'expanding' his capabilities, how can he be sure they are of the desired quality? You could go through 10 'tool makers' before you found what you wanted. All it would take is a bad run (of barrels) and his name would be "Mud" instead of Hart. I'm sure there are other barrel makers who operate in the same fashion,,, hands on.

Shortgrass I think you took that wrong I wasn't to serious about just going an off the cuff comment. I wouldn't know where to start, I one who leaves stuff like that up to the pros. I also was not complaining I m in no hurry and feel for all you builder's of customs. I deal with the same things in my biz, and some people don't get that when you want something quick by it off the shelf and live with how it works. Sorry Dr getting you riled up didn't mean anything by it.

The majority of barrel makers are very small shops. They employ FEW people and even though selling barrels may be the prime source of income for them...they almost to the letter express a rather lackadaisical attudite towards making them...meaning they aint about to hurry up!

But trust me when I say Id buy a quality rifle "off the rack" before Id wait 8 months on a barrel alone!
(Dont tell me there arent any good "factory made" rifles....we both know better than that!)

Despite the European community catching us with our knickers diwn, it's till a prevailing attitude in small to medium precision custom shops of all disciplines that ..........
'we will get to it when we **** well want to'......

Something that really needs to change before the 'ship' entirely sinks.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.