6 of one - 1/2 dozen of another

johnnyk

I was sitting in the "reading room" this morning with my trusty copy of Nosler #6 and it dawned on me to compare reloading data for the .25-06 and my newly acquired 6.5-284. With the 100 and 120 gn bullets there isn't much difference! In Noslers book the .25 wears a 24" barrel and the 6.5, a 26".
So in reality, I still have a ".25-06", it just shoots .007" larger diameter bullets and uses brass that cost way more than normal. But it's good brass, right?

I just can't see how .007" makes that much difference in the BC's of bullets at LR.

Shakespeare said, "a rose by any other name, would smell as sweet". :) JohnnyK.

It's not the diameter of the bullet that causes the higher b.c. it's the length, diameter and sectional density that makes it higher. There are alot more heavy for caliber bullets available for the 6.5 and that is why the b.c is better. Also the barrels are generally a faster twist from the factory for the 6.5 which allows for the longer bullets, which is why the bullet manufactures make the bullets the shape they make them.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts