6 Dasher Barrel Length Recommendations

CWM-RHG

Previously Chuck Moles
I'm putting together a couple of 6 Dasher builds and have Proof steel barrels, 30", 1-7 twist, on the way. Going to shoot the 105 Berger or the 110 MatchKing. I'm all new to this caliber and am looking for advice for the finished barrel lengths and reasons. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I went with a 4.5 contour benchmark at 22". I wanted a portable shorter gun to use in tree stands and box blinds. It performs better than I expected. 32 gr of Varget gets me 2905-10 FPS with a 103 eldx. Only took one antelope with it this year. With basically zero recoil I could watch the hair fly and the buck drop at the shot of 298 yds. Very fun little gun to shoot. I even put on a 3 port MBM brake on it. I know the F class guys run 30"+ barrels for maximum velocity. Guess it depends how you will be using it; as to what barrel length you go with.

I went with a 4.5 contour benchmark at 22". I wanted a portable shorter gun to use in tree stands and box blinds. It performs better than I expected. 32 gr of Varget gets me 2905-10 FPS with a 103 eldx. Only took one antelope with it this year. With basically zero recoil I could watch the hair fly and the buck drop at the shot of 298 yds. Very fun little gun to shoot. I even put on a 3 port MBM brake on it. I know the F class guys run 30"+ barrels for maximum velocity. Guess it depends how you will be using it; as to what barrel length you go with.
Thank you.....

I'm putting together a couple of 6 Dasher builds and have Proof steel barrels, 30", 1-7 twist, on the way. Going to shoot the 105 Berger or the 110 MatchKing. I'm all new to this caliber and am looking for advice for the finished barrel lengths and reasons. Any advice would be appreciated.
No reason to go longer than 28" on a Dasher.

For a carry around hunting rifle, I use a 23" #3 contour barrel. Giving up a little bit of fps, but for my hunting it is way handier than toting a 28 or 30" heavy contour barrel. The #3 contour is every bit as accurate, just heats up faster. If heating up faster is an issue for a 6 Dasher hunting rig, you might want to consider practicing a bit more. :)

For a while I thought 26" was too long and only shot 24, then I tried a 26" medium palma. I thought it was great for balancing that rifle (TRG-22) and not being too heavy.

It will be a target rifle, probably weighing out at 15-16#. Barrels are Medium Palma contour.
Was out shooting my dasher at 500 yds today. Was working great and had multiple half MOA 5 shot groups. As I mentioned earlier it's a 22" hunting gun. A friend is working on putting together a 30" Bartlein for this summers F class. I'm sure it's going to shoot good. I think he's going to run a 1.25" straight 1.7.5" twist. If you finish at 15-16 lbs it will be a pleasure to shoot.

I'd try it at full length and it can always be cut off if need be. Or if you ever decide to re-chamber it for another action and the threads need to be cut off and re-cut. What stock will it be put in?

Last edited:
My match rifles are both 26', 6BR and 6 dasher. With a hell fire break they balance very well. I like 25-26'. my little BR is running the 105 bergers at 2895 no pressure and stupid accurate with varget.

Was out shooting my dasher at 500 yds today. Was working great and had multiple half MOA 5 shot groups. As I mentioned earlier it's a 22" hunting gun. A friend is working on putting together a 30" Bartlein for this summers F class. I'm sure it's going to shoot good. I think he's going to run a 1.25" straight 1.7.5" twist. If you finish at 15-16 lbs it will be a pleasure to shoot.
Copy what your friend doing, you won't wrong.

Attachments

• july2019.png
    july2019.png
    19 KB · Views: 243
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.