6.8 Western

So you just take 7 saum brass, neck it down to .277 and load and shoot it without problem? You just use 6.8 western dies to neck down? Mind sharing what some load data as well?
i use 300 SAUM Remington brass in my 6.5 and Bartram 7mm SAUM in my 30. Just use your 6.8 die to size down just enough so the brass fits snug in your chamber, I would recommend expanding to 30 cal then size down to get a snug fit for forming. both my cases are just simple neck up/down with no other changes to the case.
I dont share exact loading date because there is to many variables but use middle of the road book data until you have cases are formed and then you can compare to factory brass. I know some manufactures will have less capacity ADG some will have more Bartram. once formed just use the normal load work up practices looking for pressure and accuracy and then use what your gun tells you what it likes

i use 300 SAUM Remington brass in my 6.5 and Bartram 7mm SAUM in my 30. Just use your 6.8 die to size down just enough so the brass fits snug in your chamber, I would recommend expanding to 30 cal then size down to get a snug fit for forming. both my cases are just simple neck up/down with no other changes to the case.
I dont share exact loading date because there is to many variables but use middle of the road book data until you have cases are formed and then you can compare to factory brass. I know some manufactures will have less capacity ADG some will have more Bartram. once formed just use the normal load work up practices looking for pressure and accuracy and then use what your gun tells you what it likes
So are you using 6.8W dies and swap bushings or did you get custom dies ordered. I'm also pondering the idea of taking the new 7 prc case and simply necking it down to .277 and shortening the freebore to get a COAL around 3.2" to fit a medium action. That way I'd be able to get swap bushings in a 7 prc die and wouldn't have to worry about custom dies.

I been watching them. Think I may order a browning. Looks like an awesome round. Great 1000 yard group. Awesome bear! Great job!!!

Very Nice!
What length is your barrel? Mind sharing your 3000 FPS load with the 165 ABLR? I am working with a 24" barreled, 8 twist 270 WSM and using 6.8 Western data for starting loads, since there are so few published loads for the 270 WSM with the long-heavy bullets.
Hodgdon has a lot of pressure-tested data posted online for the 6.8W. With the 165 ABLR, they only exceeded 2900 FPS with two powders, MagPro and Magnum in a 24" barrel with a 63K PSI pressure limit. My lot of Magnum is faster-burning than theirs, as I can hit 3000 FPS in the larger 270 WSM case with a couple grains less Magnum than Hodgdon's 68.5 grain charge in the 6.8W.
Hodgdon 6.8 Western data
Nice bear and nice shooting!
Cheers,
Rex
Thanks and sure I'll share details, no problem. *** same old necessary disclosure: my load could be unsafe in your rifle, work up or not at all 😂 not my responsibility***

24" 1/8 twist
Winchester brass
GM215 but
COAL 2.990 - 0.015" off
68.5 gr Magnum

If you look at Hodgdons data 3000 fps is right in the wheelhouse for that combo. They're getting 2950. So yeah same, my lot is a little faster then theirs.

Nice Bear! I'll just keep my 270 WSM and re-barrel with an 8" twist. No need for a new cartridge.
Agreed. I love the 270 wsm. I didn't have one and wanted to tinker with the new kid on the block lol a fast twist 270 wsm should beat the 6.8w in about every category. Not by much but still does 👍🏼

dont let brass be your limiting factor. I have two wildcats on the 6.8W case and just fireform SAUM brass in the chamber with no problems with performance or brass life the two cases are close enough that it is like forming in an improved chamber and there is plenty of quality SAUM brass available.

very nice bear and congrats on your shooting ability on game and target. I used to shoot the 128 bulldozers at high velocity and the performance was great, light and fast is a plus with copper mono bullets
Light and fast with copper is like a lightning rod through game. I love it

I want to build something to shoot heavy .277 bullets. 6.8 western is a simple option for sure, only problem is I'm not sure if there will be wide-spread support for it and quality brass. If Lapua or someone would make brass, I would be all for it. Is your chamber just standard freebore? I would like to try and extend the freebore a bit and put it on a medium action and really see what kind of performance you could get from it.
Ya know, I don't know the exact freebore but it's a little longer than saami spec. I didn't want to run out of room with the 165-175s. Mines on a medium action 👍🏼

Light and fast with copper is like a lightning rod through game. I love it
i was shooting the 128s at 3700fps they were devastating, the aluminum tip and petals would come off making multiple wound channels and then the bullet shank just plows out the other side. In testing i was able to recover a couple of the bullet shanks and they would retain 70% of original weight and 24" of penetration.
light and fast is the way to go, especially with the Badlands having better than average BCs helping to stretch the distance over some of the other options.