6.8 Western

Ole Dead Eye

New to reloading ,, I am trying to get things in order to start loading my own some day for the new 6.8 Western. I called Winchester and they do not have data being it is a new load, and was told they are going to try very hard to gather load data this Summer. I also called Hodgdon Powder and they directed me to there load data for this round. Being this is a starting point as anyone else used this data to start with or does a person wait for someone else to try the different powders?? After all Hodgdon has been around for a long time. Thanks in advance. Ken

I haven't seen a rifle on the shelf yet. anyone else?
To get one a person would have to special order one which I have done. I was one of the first to do so. The release date for the 6,8 Western is late into the 3rd quarter this year. My rifle should be done in the May to June timeline. I also have a two die set on order and have a case of ammo.

Last edited:
To get one a person would have to special order one which I have done. I was one of the first to do so. The release date for the 6,8 Western is late into the 3rd quarter this year. My rifle should be done in the May to June timeline. I also have a two die set on order and have a case of ammo.
Where did you special order your rifle from. I have been looking for one to order also.

^^^^. I found the UPC number and the Browning number for the rifle I wanted and called around to gun dealers in Utah, told him that I could not find a dealer in Texas that could order one and he told me he would help, I paid him in full and that was that!! It took one call. Look for a platinum dealer.

Last edited:
I spoke to a Winchester rep and was told the components of the 6.8 ammunition will be available the Spring of 2021, I also called Nosler and they are working on the bullets/projectiles for the 165,170 and a couple more getting them out for reloading. I found the brass only at one place so far but it is way over 2 dollars a shell so I'll be waiting on others for now!!:)

want a little secret on brass for the 6.8 western? if you can locate dies you then can run 7mm Saum ADG brass in the die and then fireform in a 6.8 western chamber. that gives you a lot more and higher quality brass options.
the western case is real close to the Sherman Max wildcat and that is what they use

A784629D-8732-4B58-9531-A9FFC54CC7E9.jpeg
423A9BA5-D882-494F-881B-E4258FDB0D73.jpeg

Scored some powder, a friend went and purchased the two IMR for me and I bought two of the Hybrid 100. I also found 500 WLRM primers, and the purchases did not seem to far out of line ( for today's prices). I am finding out that if these small towns have active gun shops they get shipments in pretty regularly and a person can get things!!!!:)

Meanwhile on the velocity side of the equation, the 6.8 mm Western ABLR stays supersonic for approximately 1,600 yds. and remains above the transonic range out well beyond 1,000 yds.