6.8 Western

The 300wsm necked up to .35cal is best known as the 35 Sambar if a guy wants to search it up
I "invented" one several years ago from a 325 WSM I dubbed the .355 Razorback designed as a short-barreled huge boar/moose slayer in close cover. I was unimpressed with my results in ballistic tests. The standard .35 Whelen easily equaled its speed/energy. Essentially the same thing as the Sambar with less working of the brass. I was using a 21" #5 Lilja barrel, so perhaps a Rock Creek or others with 3 more inches of barrel would have improved things. The throat was bored way too deep, so 2 MOA was the best I could do. That prototype was scrapped quickly. Sometimes things that look good on paper don't pan out.

I "invented" one several years ago from a 325 WSM I dubbed the .355 Razorback designed as a short-barreled huge boar/moose slayer in close cover. I was unimpressed with my results in ballistic tests. The standard .35 Whelen easily equaled its speed/energy. Essentially the same thing as the Sambar with less working of the brass. I was using a 21" #5 Lilja barrel, so perhaps a Rock Creek or others with 3 more inches of barrel would have improved things. The throat was bored way too deep, so 2 MOA was the best I could do. That prototype was scrapped quickly. Sometimes things that look good on paper don't pan out.
At least you tried something!
I get ideas but thats where it ends.I use the bad health excuse.

At health excuse.
You're likely better off. It's an expensive proposition, and half the time or more it's not what you thought it would be on paper. I've got 2 reamers with headspace gauges sitting here that will probably never be used to cut a chamber, but they cost plenty to produce. It's always best to make something that you can use a die set for that's already in existence, even if it isn't perfect. It's nearly impossible to get a custom set of dies made, and will take a year or more today if anyone will take it on. The cost is easily what you pay for the reamer and gauges to start with. I have a prototype case formed for a .270/.308 Norma Magnum, but I've about talked myself out of it (wisely). It is just as frustrating as it is rewarding, and perhaps more so.

According to this deep dive 6.8 Western is an improvement on the 270 WSM which was hindered due to a lawsuit. What can I say; I'm still not buying one because I have plenty of options already 280 AI, 270 win, 28 Nosler, etc. I ended up going with a 6.5 PRC for my kids Elk rifle and with a Terminator T3 break the recoil feels like a 243. I just can't justify another rifle; well maybe next week I'll change my mind lol.

Hey jd5521 we read the same stuff.
"The foundation of the 6.8 Western is a modified 270 Winchester Short Magnum case that is shortened to make room for new longer, heavier, high BC bullets."
There have been some good designs from the 300 wsm case.
Been thinking of a 35 cal on 300 wsm case necked up to 35 cal.

Hello Old Rooster, just read this reply about necking a 300WSM up to 35 caliber. I black bear hunt with a .358 Winchester and a 35 Whelen. With either of these two cartridges you cannot go wrong. And.....if you want a real powerhouse in .35 caliber there's the often, forever overlooked and forgotten .358 Norma magnum. If I were ever so fortunate to find myself going to Alaska on a bear hunt I would build a .358 Norma, they are easy to load for and they are tack drivers. But............for now it's going to be the .35 Whelen, and it too is a great, versatile cartridge. I was going to try the 223gr Shock Hammers in the Whelen for black bear the last season, however did not get enough range time in with them. But next year I will take one with them. For me what I have found is that if one were to compare the "new", latest and greatest, 5000 yard, anti-tank, Trex killers that just came out on the market with some of the "older" original cartridges and did a true comparison there's really not that much difference worth the fuss over!! I would be curious to find out how many there are on this forum who are/were interested in a .35 caliber cartridge who have ever looked at the ballistics of the 35 Whelen or ever looked at the ballistics of the .358 Norma magnum. And it's not different with this "new", 6.8 Western. The .270 WSM has been around for nearly 20 years, yet............now we are shortening the cartridge case, thus reducing powder capacity, changing the barrel twist, and NOW it too is the latest and greatest cartridge on earth. EVEN greater than the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Hello Old Rooster, just read this reply about necking a 300WSM up to 35 caliber. I black bear hunt with a .358 Winchester and a 35 Whelen. With either of these two cartridges you cannot go wrong. And.....if you want a real powerhouse in .35 caliber there's the often, forever overlooked and forgotten .358 Norma magnum. If I were ever so fortunate to find myself going to Alaska on a bear hunt I would build a .358 Norma, they are easy to load for and they are tack drivers. But............for now it's going to be the .35 Whelen, and it too is a great, versatile cartridge. I was going to try the 223gr Shock Hammers in the Whelen for black bear the last season, however did not get enough range time in with them. But next year I will take one with them. For me what I have found is that if one were to compare the "new", latest and greatest, 5000 yard, anti-tank, Trex killers that just came out on the market with some of the "older" original cartridges and did a true comparison there's really not that much difference worth the fuss over!! I would be curious to find out how many there are on this forum who are/were interested in a .35 caliber cartridge who have ever looked at the ballistics of the 35 Whelen or ever looked at the ballistics of the .358 Norma magnum. And it's not different with this "new", 6.8 Western. The .270 WSM has been around for nearly 20 years, yet............now we are shortening the cartridge case, thus reducing powder capacity, changing the barrel twist, and NOW it too is the latest and greatest cartridge on earth. EVEN greater than the 6.5 Creedmoor.

I love the idea of the .358 Norma…what a .338 winnie wants to be when it grows up 🤪

actually tho, i know in a standard length action one could just shoot a .375 ruger and have more practicality, but theres no nostalgia or cool factor.

ive long pined for an old husqvarna .358 norma!