6.8 Western

I'm waiting to see others use them first.
On one hand the regular 270 is pretty awesome but it does have 1 draw back!
Most every time you pull the trigger then you have to gut,drag,skin, quarter meat.
The factory 270 is one of the killingest rounds ever conceived!
More may be better so I'll wait and see

Funny thing on this site...everyone hating on the 6.5 creedmoor as a hipster cartridge are actually acting just like a bunch of hipsters in that they hate it simply because it's popular, it's mainstream, everyone seems to like it. Either that or all claiming they liked it "before it was cool" haha. I have no plans to buy a 6.5 as I already own a 270 and they serve similar purposes.

also funny note you mention about trying to get Americans to love metric...I'm Canadian and it's kind of funny, I live in a rural part of Saskatchewan (which is a rural province overall) and the dirt roads are indeed on a grid that is in miles, not kilometres, established long before we officially adopted the metric system. The highway signs are all in km. The stupid thing is that when I'm driving in gravel my brain automatically only thinks of distance in miles and when I'm on pavement it only thinks in kilometres. It's ridiculous but it works for me. Some simpsons humour to close this rabbit trail:

View attachment 242620
Calvin, funny comment. I know this is an old post, but I've noticed our northern neighbors have a surprisingly mixed use of metric and imperial. I watch a car review channel on YouTube put on by two Canadians and it was funny and yet kind of confusing trying to figure out when they would use which. Because of my military time, I'm fairly used to using metric but obviously don't use it as much.

Last edited:
I'm somewhat interested in the cartridge, that being said, I have yet to justify the need for a rifle chambered in it. Ron Spomer just put out a video the other day about the 6.8 Western and according to him it duplicates/matches the 7RM trajectory with the same weight bullet, with less powder and less recoil. He also showed a trajectory table comparing a few different calibers out to 500 yards. The 270 Win closely mimics the same trajectory out to 500 yards, with a 150gr NoslerABLR, but with one inch more drop compared to the 6.8 Western. Like others have stated, I would like to see the 270Win, 270WSM, & 270WBY get a barrel upgrade with a faster twist rate, or at the vary least Winchester/Browning should have revamped he 270WSM to handle the heavier bullet weights. With the newer powders available, some of these older cartridges have a new life breathed into them and have made them much better than before.I just finished testing one for an article

I just finished testing one for Mossy Oak. The article on the test as well as another one "Reloading for the 6.8 Western" are on their web page. I really can't say that the rifle had any less recoil than any 7mm rem mags, but I can say thet the rifle shot great groups with everything I threw at it

Yea I know that but 6.8 has become more popular lately since bigger 270 bullets have come out.
I have a hard time leaving my 270 Winchester 70 at home when it's just deer hunting.
The 6.8 Western is a 300 wsm case necked down to 270 size

Yea I know that but 6.8 has become more popular lately since bigger 270 bullets have come out.
I have a hard time leaving my 270 Winchester 70 at home when it's just deer hunting.
It's actually the 270 wsm shortened with same taper taken out to run the heavies in a short action without running out of room.

From what I have read, I believe that the parent cartridge for the .270 WSM is the 300 WSM case necked down to .277 caliber. And....from what I have read the 6.8 Western essentially is a modified .270 WSM, lengthening the neck thus shortening/lowering the case capacity. If I were building another .277 caliber I would definitely go with the .270 WSM, only barrel the rifle with a fast twist to handle the heavier bullets. To me this makes more sense than the 6.8 Western due to the increased case capacity of the .270 WSM over the Western. If you like to reload and would like to load for a wildcat cartridge, your .270 Winchester model 70 could be rechambered to .270 Ackley Improved, very impressive performance from this cartridge with the present day powders.

We think alike Alibiiv,I would prefer the 270 wsm also.
I guess it's marketing guys that needs to keep their jobs so they come up with cartridges similar to ones already out and doing well.
I know about the Ackley Improved cases as my neighbor had a 30-06 Ackley Improved and reloaded for him for several years.
We think alike.

Muddyboots I like that name,6.8 Thors Hammer.It has style!