6.8 Western

This cartridge is mostly a gimmick over anything else in my eyes. I already have a 270 WSM and a 270 Win. I am building a 270 off of a 7MM Rem Mag case. this smaller case just does nothing to improve the performance unless you hunt in really thick forests, need a short barreled(16") rifles for easy maneuverability. then and only then would I say this has a niche in the hunting field.

Lots of people in the marketplace are not interested in customization of throats, rate of twist, hand loading, or other specialties. They are willing to pay for off the shelf accuracy and in reality they can get it. As much as they care to spend. The are buying the short cut to the end result. They probably won't shoot 4 boxes of ammo in a year because they don't have to. They bought what they wanted...

what don't people understand it wasn't designed or marketed with us in mind. they don't care about your custom rig, your fast twist rebarrel or your custom hotrod reloads.
this was for the guy that wants to buy a rifle and a couple boxes of ammo and enjoy themselves because they have a life other than shooting and spending countless hours at the range and loading bench then bragging how great they are shooting with some miracle powder at incredible velocity

Those people probably shouldn't be taking shots on animals at LR in the first place so what's the point?

Those people probably shouldn't be taking shots on animals at LR in the first place so what's the point?

You don't have to reload and have custom rifles to shoot long range anymore. Some people have more money than time, and rifles and ammunition quality have gotten better. There is no reason if you have enough money to practice you can't shoot long range with current factory offering. I shoot a lot of Hornady 6mm Creedmoor Black 105 HPBT because it saves me time and it's plenty accurate to reach out there and touch things as long as I'm doing my part. I also bought a bunch back when I got it basically for the price of the components.

No, but my point is that actual innovation was a rocket from the 1850's to 1950's, and since then, all we've done is spend $Billions to squeeze single digit% performance out of the stuff that is older than any of us. I get caught up in this stuff just like anyone else, and then sometimes when I compare downrange m.v. and energy of the thousands of cartridges available to us, I acknowledge how much mental masturbation it all is. When almost every modern cartridge is pushing 1,500+ fps at 500y+, and 90%+ of animals are taken inside of 100y, where you could have killed them with a decent crossbow, it can all be much ado about nothing. There is no way to quantify or prove this, but I'd be willing to bet that frontal diameter is almost never the factor as to whether or not a game animal dies, (accepting huge swings, like, don't shoot an elephant with a .223). If you were able to put a fatal shot into the vitals of a deer with your 7rm, for example, and you were magically able to repeat the same shot under the same conditions with a 6.5cm, or a 243, or a 300wm, or just about anything in these middle of the road calibers, the result would be the same. You could shoot an animal with this 6.8 western, or a 6.5 prc, or a century plus old .270, and nothing will change at all. Now, I'm guilty of buying every new thing that comes out just like many of you, but I am honest about the lack of real difference. Now excuse me while I go back to building my 6mm arc ar, because I definitely needed a 3rd 6mm cartridge that performs worse than the .243 and .240 Weatherby I already own, but fits in an ar, and when compared to the 6.5 grendel ar I already own, it ummm, does something better, maybe. 🤣😂
So true

One thing that I find irritating (and it's nothing new either) is the apples to potatoes spin they put on these things. This 6.8 w is being advertised to retain more energy than a 7mm rem mag. No way that's true comparing the highest bc projectiles in both cartridges.

and Ron Spomer endorsing it means nothing to me, if anything it's against it. He's a great hunter and shooter no doubt but reading a few articles and watching a few videos about anything ballistic and technical and I know what I need to know. Saw a YouTube video by him explaining why the 6.5 creedmoor beats the .300 win mag at 1000 yards, proceeding to compare the ballistics of the 143 eldx with the 180 COR-lokt.
Yes because some people will believe anything.

Crazy I have probably 400 spent 270 win cases, A standard 270 win with a 24" stainless 1-10 twist. A custom 270 win 26" 1-8 twist that shoots 170 Bergers lights out. I have enough components and powder to roll a thousand rounds of everything from 130 to 170 gr bullets and they want me to buy another case that looks cool. That is in practical terms an par with the 1-8 twist 270 win. 😂😂😂😂. What will they think of next?

If you visit the Browning Shot Show 2021 page nearly all of their new rifles are chambered for the 6.8 Western.

From what I learned about the 6.8 is its a truly long distance cartridge. Gel tests at 200 yards shows the round disintegrating due to excessive energy.

Last edited:
You don't have to reload and have custom rifles to shoot long range anymore. Some people have more money than time, and rifles and ammunition quality have gotten better. There is no reason if you have enough money to practice you can't shoot long range with current factory offering. I shoot a lot of Hornady 6mm Creedmoor Black 105 HPBT because it saves me time and it's plenty accurate to reach out there and touch things as long as I'm doing my part. I also bought a bunch back when I got it basically for the price of the components.
There was a time when PRS guys were all buying FGMM .308 because it was cheaper than their cost+time in reloading and just as accurate as anything they could load. Off the shelf ammo can be great these days.

Personal experience with 6.8 Western. It shoots slightly better than the 270 WSM with factory loads. Now factory loading is very new and there are only 2 specs on the market. I'm confident once more options come out you can easily get better results than the 270 WSM.

Personal experience with 6.8 Western. It shoots slightly better than the 270 WSM with factory loads. Now factory loading is very new and there are only 2 specs on the market. I'm confident once more options come out you can easily get better results than the 270 WSM.
What does "shoots better" mean?