6.8 Western

No value added for me!
I would rather have a 270 WSM 1.7.7-8 with a Med. action or long action.
Better yet a 270 Wea. with a 1-7.5 or 1-8 since belted cases don't bother me, too old I guess.
Or a 6.5 Wea. RPM necked up to .270 since that will likely be out soon.
An action that is 3/4" longer and 4 oz. heavier has not been a game stopper for me, so I don't see any plus for any application I have.

As I see it the only point of Winchester and Browning developing this was so there could be a production rifle produced that mimicked what others have been building custom 270 wsm's throated long for years now. If you want a production rifle that's less expensive this cartridge would be the way to go. But compared to having your barrel throated for the heavies I don't see another advantage. 6,8 western has a shorter shoulder and maybe some taper taken out of the 270 wsm parent case.

I think it's cool and at least they don't seem to be lying about it as much as Hornady does... It is a straight lie that they say it's better than the 7remmag (Hornady also said the 350leg was better than the 30-30 and the 6arc hit as hard as a 308) it is a fast twist 270 that shoots heavy bullets off the shelf, that's about it! Oh and it fits in a short action. You can also have anything you want better than any cartrige up for discusion if you have your own machine shop or a gunsmith on speed dial.... This does it off the shelf.
That being said I've always had a facination for the good ol 270win as I read lots of Jack 'Oconnor books when I was a kid. The only thing that would be nice is a regular 270 with a fast twist barrel and heavy bullets.
So the sad thing is that previously there just weren't any heavy bullets in 270cal. So if you want that you really have to go to a 280/280ai or a 6.5-06 because there just are not many bullets available in 270 outside of the 85-150g range (I know there are some but it's not like 6.5 or 7bore.
The cool thing is this, although we may not need another cartrige but this gives Nosler, Federal, Speer and Hornady a reason to make bigger longer 270 bullets that we can all put in our wildcat projects. Like how about a fast twist 270 win set in a big weatherby action that's 3.6" long. Or being able to shoot a 165-175g eldm/x out of a 270wsm?

I think it's cool and at least they don't seem to be lying about it as much as Hornady does... It is a straight lie that they say it's better than the 7remmag (Hornady also said the 350leg was better than the 30-30 and the 6arc hit as hard as a 308) it is a fast twist 270 that shoots heavy bullets off the shelf, that's about it! Oh and it fits in a short action. You can also have anything you want better than any cartrige up for discusion if you have your own machine shop or a gunsmith on speed dial.... This does it off the shelf.
That being said I've always had a facination for the good ol 270win as I read lots of Jack 'Oconnor books when I was a kid. The only thing that would be nice is a regular 270 with a fast twist barrel and heavy bullets.
So the sad thing is that previously there just weren't any heavy bullets in 270cal. So if you want that you really have to go to a 280/280ai or a 6.5-06 because there just are not many bullets available in 270 outside of the 85-150g range (I know there are some but it's not like 6.5 or 7bore.
The cool thing is this, although we may not need another cartrige but this gives Nosler, Federal, Speer and Hornady a reason to make bigger longer 270 bullets that we can all put in our wildcat projects. Like how about a fast twist 270 win set in a big weatherby action that's 3.6" long. Or being able to shoot a 165-175g eldm/x out of a 270wsm?
I agree. A 270 win with a faster twist and heavier bullets would be phenomenal. And yes Hornady ALWAYS has a lot of hype with their cartridges (6.5 prc and 300 prc to be more precise).

No value added for me!
I would rather have a 270 WSM 1.7.7-8 with a Med. action or long action.
Better yet a 270 Wea. with a 1-7.5 or 1-8 since belted cases don't bother me, too old I guess.
Or a 6.5 Wea. RPM necked up to .270 since that will likely be out soon.
An action that is 3/4" longer and 4 oz. heavier has not been a game stopper for me, so I don't see any plus for any application I have.
Very true. I don't have problems with belted cases either. I'm hoping it'll give the 6.5 prc a run for it's money. Only for the fact the 6.5 prc has so much hype about it being like a "do all, end all" cartridge.

As I see it the only point of Winchester and Browning developing this was so there could be a production rifle produced that mimicked what others have been building custom 270 wsm's throated long for years now. If you want a production rifle that's less expensive this cartridge would be the way to go. But compared to having your barrel throated for the heavies I don't see another advantage. 6,8 western has a shorter shoulder and maybe some taper taken out of the 270 wsm parent case.
It's seems like in the last several years a lot more people have gravitated to more short action cartridges like the 6 and 6.5 creedmoor and the 6.5 prc. It'll be interesting to see if it will catch on like these 3 have

I'm somewhat interested in the cartridge, that being said, I have yet to justify the need for a rifle chambered in it. Ron Spomer just put out a video the other day about the 6.8 Western and according to him it duplicates/matches the 7RM trajectory with the same weight bullet, with less powder and less recoil. He also showed a trajectory table comparing a few different calibers out to 500 yards. The 270 Win closely mimics the same trajectory out to 500 yards, with a 150gr NoslerABLR, but with one inch more drop compared to the 6.8 Western. Like others have stated, I would like to see the 270Win, 270WSM, & 270WBY get a barrel upgrade with a faster twist rate, or at the vary least Winchester/Browning should have revamped he 270WSM to handle the heavier bullet weights. With the newer powders available, some of these older cartridges have a new life breathed into them and have made them much better than before.

when gun companies make guns they do so to saami specs. to avoid lawsuits and barrel twist is set when certified. they cant just change saami spec. to suit their needs, so the 270 win,wsm,wea are what they are for twist.
the 6.8 western solves that problem and is also a true short action now to play on the popularity of the creed and prc nowadays
I see a lot of benefit for the 270 crowd and wildcatters.
remember guns/cartridges are designed for the masses not the handful that are willing to go custom or modify existing guns
for the guy that just wants to buy a gun and shoot to mid/longer ranges this is a viable solution

What I've read and heard about it I thank it will be a good cartridge for people like me that can only afford factory rifles most of the time. and that also likes the long heavy bullets in .277 cal.i have had a number of factory 270 win and shot a few others and I never seen a factory 270 win that would shoot 150s better the moa or bigger groups.i cant speak for the 270 wsm or wby but I have been wanting to have a 270 wsm with 1:8 twist built when I am about to or a 270 ai. Any ways I do thank it will be a good choice for people that wants to purchase a factory rifle and shoot factory ammo that has a good thump on game with manageable recoil that thank the 6.5 prc isn't big enough for elk size game.that being said I do believe the 6.8 western may be just some compation for th 6.5 prc only time will tell

So, how about how poor the timing is that they 277 sig fury and the 6.8 western are launched right on top of each other, and both of them fill a hole that didn't really exist. I think some of you nailed it, they are just praying to be the next 6.5cm. They are hoping for the equivalent of "going viral" in today's nonsensical world of cartridge marketing. The 6.5 caliber is exhausted for mass marketing, so they had to move on to thr next probable diameter opportunity.

Next year 4 companies will make .25 cartridges with awesome marketing names, and that is the culture we have now..