6.8 Western

Just another implement using rapidly expanding gasses, generating pressures from burning nitrocellulose, to launch a projectile thru a confined system that imparts spinning to achieve gyroscopic stability.

Progressive steps could be to rail guns then to a stream of photons.

Until that happens this geek will be content with a 7.7 twist .22-.250 and pointy 75 grain bullets. My last rodent was just under 400 yards.

so dead is dead then, so lets all use flintlock because dead is dead. its is also like saying that back in the 1800s when the self contained cartridge was developed and everybody went to it that no innovation occurred. there is a lot here that is new 3 new bullets to start that we didn't have. twist rates not before available to the everyday shooter/hunter. factory ammo offerings for longrange with the accuracy to match. innovation doesn't have to be from the ditch to the moon to be a solid step up
Let's not confuse innovation and knowledge. When barrels were first rifled that was innovation. When bullet shape, weight, velocity and twist were optimized that was knowledge brought about by technology that let us see exactly what a bullet was doing in flight

Just another implement using rapidly expanding gasses, generating pressures from burning nitrocellulose, to launch a projectile thru a confined system that imparts spinning to achieve gyroscopic stability.

Progressive steps could be to rail guns then to a stream of photons.

Until that happens this geek will be content with a 7.7 twist .22-.250 and pointy 75 grain bullets. My last rodent was just under 400 yards.
Boom. Me too.

There is so much overlap with existing calibers is there really a need to introduce another one?

In my experienced most people haven't mastered their current equipment yet are happy to sell or trade at a loss in the hopes the new caliber will give them something their old caliber didn't. Maybe its not the equipment at all?

Browning & Winchester have found a niche in the shooting world with the 6.8 Western. Reading the reviews and watching Ron Spomer was enlightening; plus with $$ marketing, they will get some sales. But I won't be a buyer.
With the evolution of better performing bullets, I decided to evolve by rebarreling my 45 year old 700 7mm mag with a Bartlein 1:8.7" gain twist barrel (180gr @ 2900fps) and my Tikka .270 mountain rifle to a 1:8.5" twist (160gr @ 2970fps). I only hunt elk, and those are the only two rifles I need.
I also agree with Bob Buliva that "Timing is everything." Hence, 2021 may not be the right time for such a 6.8 adventure.

Last edited:
I'd like to know what everyone's thoughts are on the new 6.8 Western. I know it's a brand new but it like a very promising cartridge.
Thanks
I think its a pandering compromise and will not stand the test of time. 6.5 prc and this 6.8 western are just slightly smaller cases then a 270 wsm designed to shoot high bc bullets. And am all for efficiency and dift over drop. But going to a smaller case in the 6.8 western and a heavier bullets makes the 6.8 western the 6.5 cm/6.5 prc of hunting rounds. Good/better LR performance but not real flat shooting.
What I like about the 270 wsm is its flat shooting with a 130 gr. 1.9 mils at 485 yards, compared to my 300 wm with a 200 gr and my 7mm mag with a 162 gr which are both at 2.5 mils. And the 270 wsm has a pbz of 250 yards and carries 1224 #'s of energy to 1000 yards, in elk county at 7500 ft of altitude, 40 degrees, 23.0 baro, 25% RH starting at mild 3089 fps.
Yes the 6.8 western will preform better at longer ranges but your giving up the flatness at ranges most game is shot at.
The 270 wsm is still a better choice for hunting, as most game is taken at distances far below were the 6.8 western will out preform it.
Winchester should have came out with a 6.5 wsm or 6.5 western 7.5T. A 150-160 gr 6.5 would have been a better choice for the case. Or a 25 western designed around a .65 g1 bc bullet.

I think its a pandering compromise and will not stand the test of time. 6.5 prc and this 6.8 western are just slightly smaller cases then a 270 wsm designed to shoot high bc bullets. And am all for efficiency and dift over drop. But going to a smaller case in the 6.8 western and a heavier bullets makes the 6.8 western the 6.5 cm/6.5 prc of hunting rounds. Good/better LR performance but not real flat shooting.
What I like about the 270 wsm is its flat shooting with a 130 gr. 1.9 mils at 485 yards, compared to my 300 wm with a 200 gr and my 7mm mag with a 162 gr which are both at 2.5 mils. And the 270 wsm has a pbz of 250 yards and carries 1224 #'s of energy to 1000 yards, in elk county at 7500 ft of altitude, 40 degrees, 23.0 baro, 25% RH starting at mild 3089 fps.
Yes the 6.8 western will preform better at longer ranges but your giving up the flatness at ranges most game is shot at.
The 270 wsm is still a better choice for hunting, as most game is taken at distances far below were the 6.8 western will out preform it.
Winchester should have came out with a 6.5 wsm or 6.5 western 7.5T. A 150-160 gr 6.5 would have been a better choice for the case. Or a 25 western designed around a .65 g1 bc bullet.
Isn't the barrel twist rate for the 270 wsm 1-in-10 just like the 270 win? So despite it's flatter trajectory you are still limited in the choice of bullet weights and BC's available to it because 1-in-10 simply won't stabilize anything much above 160 grains for the .277 diameter bullet.

Unless they support and market the absolute crap out of it I predict it will be unknown within 5yrs. Outside of this forum I don't think a single hunting buddy of mine has a clue about cartridges, one of my buddies asked about trading in his 300 win mag for a creedmoor because he heard they had the same ballistics. He doesn't shoot anything over 300yards and only hunts whitetails so it would have been fine but I had to explain they ain't the same.

Winchester barely supports their WSM line and abandoned the WSSM line so I see this not making it long term.

The best thing about the 6.8 Western is that it'll bring the projectiles needed by .277 shooters for all sorts of projects. Some mentioned above having fast twist .270 Win or fast twist .270 WSMs, and what do you shoot in those? Your selection isn't good right now but it will be soon. You'll have some options to play with thanks to the 6.8 Western.

I can't wait until we get to have this same discussion over a new .257 chambering that will bring us a bunch of heavy, high BC .257 bullets.

I think we will see lots of new interest in various .277 chamberings now that we will have a selection of bullets for them.

Recent Posts