6.8 western be 6.5prc

not alot of shooters have a 6.8 western that why ammo is available
I reload so not an issue for me. But as Winchester and Browning have a lot riding on the 6.8 Western. They will make sure there is plenty of 6.8 Western ammo available. I am not saying this will happen, but this cartridge could be the next 6.5 Creedmoor. Winchester and Browning will do everything in their power to make that happen. It is a great cartridge. Just think if the 270 WSM had a 7 1/2 twist barrel when it came out in 2002. It would have had the same reputation as the 6.5 Creedmoor has today. They made a mistake back then and they know it.

I just saw this on there site yesterday. They had listed 270 wsm's in there x bolts with 8 twists and 6.8 westerns with 7.5 twists
So I just realized that apparently part of my post disappeared but Winchester who is making the ammo was a big part of it as they didn't want the hit for making .270 ammo that wouldn't shoot in the old 10 twist barrels.

The average shooter knows little about twist rates and I'd imagine the average hunter knows even less which is why ammo companies are reluctant to offer ammo with bullets that require a faster than standard twist and instead simply create a new cartridge with the correct twist applied.

I agree. The 6.8western ammo is around because they haven't sold enough guns. That's the single biggest stepping stone to gettting a new cartridge mainstream, have available ammo and budget friendly to exotic firearms chambered in it so people try it out. Everybody says Hornady marketing made the 6.5creed, yes and no, they also designed a cartridge/reamer and provided ammo that was accurate in an age of cnc machining so suddenly a budget rifle printed SubMOA groups and guys raves about it to friends. 6.5, 7mm, and 30 will dominate market, there's too many good 7mm cartridges and bullets. For the majority of North American big game hunting a 7mm is really hard to beat for performance vs recoil package
I think you're dead on. Hornady and Ruger created their own perfect storm having factory ammo and rifles ready to go as soon as the Needmore started making a splash in PRS Matches.

Leave it to the industry to pump up marketing instead of increasing/improving existing options
This is why I hope the 6.8 western makes it, or more manufactures start making fast twist 270 wsm's.
It's definitely a better case option than the 6.5 subaru.

heck I would love to see 270 win, 30-06, 243 win, exc. manufactured with fast twist barrels. Just put a FT behind them

I agree. The 6.8western ammo is around because they haven't sold enough guns. That's the single biggest stepping stone to gettting a new cartridge mainstream, have available ammo and budget friendly to exotic firearms chambered in it so people try it out. Everybody says Hornady marketing made the 6.5creed, yes and no, they also designed a cartridge/reamer and provided ammo that was accurate in an age of cnc machining so suddenly a budget rifle printed SubMOA groups and guys raves about it to friends. 6.5, 7mm, and 30 will dominate market, there's too many good 7mm cartridges and bullets. For the majority of North American big game hunting a 7mm is really hard to beat for performance vs recoil package
Hello All, Well I am old but when the 30-06 came out way back when my daddy wasn't even a sparkle in my grandfather's eye and there were probably people saying that it wouldn't last through the war years. Here we are 116 years later and as popular as ever. I do however have to predict that the 7mm in all forms (Including the 270) as well as the standard 30's will still be hanging around another 100 years from now. As for the 6.5's and I have to possibly agree the 6.8 Western included may be hanging above the mantle without any ammo to shoot through them. It's a test of time, popularity and the fact that you can't teach new dogs the tricks that are known and celebrated for over a century. Play all you want with your new dream shots but the chances of them taking off and beating out the old standbys is somewhat dubious.

What's wrong with a 280ai? Or 270? Need I say 6.5creedmoor? Ok the creed maybe a little anemic for elk out of a 20" pipe but so is anything 308 based out of a 20" pipe except 308 or maybe 338fed. If your shooting coyotes MOST OF THE TIME the creed is all you need! I would stay away from both the 65prc and 68western as far as the factory ammo thing. There may be prcs around for year's to come but you can buy creed ammo NOW. As far as deers and black bears you don't need anything more and your son will enjoy shooting it alot more than going bigger. Ive heard the 68wsrtn recoils like a 7mag (not bad but for a 13yrold I'd go smaller) especially since the primary purpose is coyotes. Give the creed a 22" tube and you have a 300 elk gun! Baby steps, walk crawl run. Sounds like your already doing just that by starting withe coyotes, deer bear. For bear you can shoot 130tsx or get the 156g Alaskan round nose bullets made for the 65x55sweed. Consider that alot of people have taken elk and moose with 30-30 and elephant and tigers have been shot with the 65x55 and 7-08.
Besides he'll have a pleasant deer/coyote gun to shoot for years to come even after he upgrades to a big magnum for elk.

Just my ¢2
Joel

What's wrong with a 280ai? Or 270? Need I say 6.5creedmoor? Ok the creed maybe a little anemic for elk out of a 20" pipe but so is anything 308 based out of a 20" pipe except 308 or maybe 338fed. If your shooting coyotes MOST OF THE TIME the creed is all you need! I would stay away from both the 65prc and 68western as far as the factory ammo thing. There may be prcs around for year's to come but you can buy creed ammo NOW. As far as deers and black bears you don't need anything more and your son will enjoy shooting it alot more than going bigger. Ive heard the 68wsrtn recoils like a 7mag (not bad but for a 13yrold I'd go smaller) especially since the primary purpose is coyotes. Give the creed a 22" tube and you have a 300 elk gun! Baby steps, walk crawl run. Sounds like your already doing just that by starting withe coyotes, deer bear. For bear you can shoot 130tsx or get the 156g Alaskan round nose bullets made for the 65x55sweed. Consider that alot of people have taken elk and moose with 30-30 and elephant and tigers have been shot with the 65x55 and 7-08.
Besides he'll have a pleasant deer/coyote gun to shoot for years to come even after he upgrades to a big magnum for elk.

Just my ¢2
Joel
Checking Ammoseek right now it appears there's no shortage of either 6.5 or 300PRC.

Most of my ammo and components have to be bought online because I'm a long way from a large city.

There's a good supply of ammo out there for both the 6.5 and 300PRC.
Nothing wrong with that but the OP also said the primary purpose was a Coyote/deer/bear gun. I don't know how far he may be from a LGS but PRC doesn't exactly sit on shelves very often. Also all these bigger things being suggested kinda wouldnt be in the coyote realm unless it was incedendal. 65creed is kinda at the top end of coyote and the bottom end of elk- also proven deer/black bear slayer.

I reload so not an issue for me. But as Winchester and Browning have a lot riding on the 6.8 Western. They will make sure there is plenty of 6.8 Western ammo available. I am not saying this will happen, but this cartridge could be the next 6.5 Creedmoor. Winchester and Browning will do everything in their power to make that happen. It is a great cartridge. Just think if the 270 WSM had a 7 1/2 twist barrel when it came out in 2002. It would have had the same reputation as the 6.5 Creedmoor has today. They made a mistake back then and they know it.
There weren't any mainstream bullets available for the 270 to warrant using a fast twist barrel in 2002. That is how hornady got the ball rolling for the 6.5 CM. If Remington did that with the 260 there very well never have been a 6.5CM.