6.8 western be 6.5prc

Look at the bullet selection for 270 caliber vs 6.5 caliber. 6.5 PRC has far more support. If 6.8 western was as good as they say it is, that ammo would not be on the shelves. If you want to shoot sub 500 yds then it doesnt matter.. shoot a 22lr lol.
Just go with the 6.8 Western. Those 165 Nosler and 175 Sierras are great bullets. I also have. Muzzle brake on mine. It's like shooting a 243. Great accuracy at 1000 yds. I have a number of cartridges I shoot long range, but this has become my favorite. Especially if you are shooting bear with it. It will be a great elk gun as well. There are a number of folks very negative on the 6.8 Western. They are on the wrong side of the fence on this one. It almost has the capability of my 300 win mag handing like my 243.

Just go with the 6.8 Western. Those 165 Nosler and 175 Sierras are great bullets. I also have. Muzzle brake on mine. It's like shooting a 243. Great accuracy at 1000 yds. I have a number of cartridges I shoot long range, but this has become my favorite. Especially if you are shooting bear with it. It will be a great elk gun as well. There are a number of folks very negative on the 6.8 Western. They are on the wrong side of the fence on this one. It almost has the capability of my 300 win mag handing like my 243.
Should add I have a 270 WSM with a 7 1/2 twist barrel. Shoots almost identical to my 6.8 Western, except the 6.8 Western is a little more efficient. A little less powder for the same velocity. Rebarreling a 270 WSM is also a good suggestion. And then your son will have many bullet type options available to him.

the 6.8 western is a very good case design and the .277 cal. has been here forever and is not going anywhere. the combination of the two and the addition of heavy bullets with fast twist makes for a very nice option.
also more suited for larger game like elk

22 inch. best of both worlds. wont loose to much with heavies and slow powders but 150-160 class with faster powders would be the ticket for a lightweight rifle or younger shooters.

i really miss those 165 matrix when Marshal was making them. those were the best bullet i used for the 270s

I have a custom. 270 wsm and love it shooting the 165 matrix vld and 126 hammer hunters. But I figured the 6.8 would shoot the 162gr+ with factory ammo and I could always load lighter bullets if needed I think the 6.8W is a good all around set up. What's your thoughts on a 20-22" barreled 6.8w
I'd probably go with the 22inch barrel or even a 24. My son grew over a foot in 2 years. At 15 he is 6 foot 1inch already.

You know
I'm going to be a decenter here and say the 6.8 western will be a huge success.
I really hate to say that cuz it is so redundant with the wsm and saum, personally I think the 270 wsm is a way better cartridge for handloaders and I wish they'd just start offering 8 twist barrels with the same heavy factory ammo.
Leave it to the industry to pump up marketing instead of increasing/improving existing options
I listened to a podcast talking to a guy from Browning about the reason behind the 6.8 Western and he confirmed that they are offering a modernized .270 WSM because didn't want to load the heavy bullets in ammo when most rifles are slow twist.

Question to the OP, do you want to put this in a true short action, or longer? If short, I'd do the western. The brass is Identical to 270 WSM except the 3 front dimensions are shorter. Easy brass options if you couldn't find 6.8.
6.5 PRC is weird, and priced like gold rite now. Try to find something to make it out of.

If the 6.8 western was marketed before 6.5 PRC, I think it would be much more popular just because of brass dimensions

I listened to a podcast talking to a guy from Browning about the reason behind the 6.8 Western and he confirmed that they are offering a modernized .270 WSM because didn't want to load the heavy bullets in ammo when most rifles are slow twist.
I just saw this on there site yesterday. They had listed 270 wsm's in there x bolts with 8 twists and 6.8 westerns with 7.5 twists

I have a custom. 270 wsm and love it shooting the 165 matrix vld and 126 hammer hunters. But I figured the 6.8 would shoot the 162gr+ with factory ammo and I could always load lighter bullets if needed I think the 6.8W is a good all around set up. What's your thoughts on a 20-22" barreled 6.8w
I like the 22" or 24". I like burning all of the powder. If I bought a 20", would definitely add a muzzle brake.

I think I will build it off a long action,for the reason when he shoots out the barrel I will make it a 300 prc when he is older
I would not, the 300 prc case diameter is different than a 270 WSM. just order a 7 1/2 twist stainless barrel from Brux barrels for $300 and have a gun smith chamber and put it on for about $150. I like my 270 WSM with a 7 1/2 Twist barrel as much as my 6.8 Western. They shoot almost exactly the same. Except. I do think the 6.8 Western is a little more efficient, but the 270 WSM case holds more powder.

I am loading to just over 3000 fps. I have never reached a stress point over 3000 fps, but my best accuracy node is just over 3000. Another observation, my rebarreled 270 WSM is more accurate than before I rebarreled. It could just because I have a custom barrel vs a factory barrel.