6.8 SPC vs. 6.5 Grendel vs. .260 Rem?

Brent-AR-30-338

Was thinking about what rifle to build next, while I have plenty of bolt guns was leaning towards a auto. Of course the grendel & 6.8 would be in a ar-15 platform, the 260rem in a ar-10 platform seems interesting too.
One would be able obtain near Boltgun accuracy with either of these combos right?
Any hands on with any of these cal/rifle combos? Just pondering... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If your goal is LR accuracy then the Grendel is it. The 6.8 is a battle round that works very, very well from 0-400m. I dont have any expierence with a 260 in an AR10 platform, but I fail to see what it would offer over the other two.

Why not try the route of a sr25? 308 will do what you want. Not sure what you want to use it for but a AR-15 in 300 whisper will do ok, I have one I'm dev. loads for now.

The cheap way would be the 6.5 grendel, the expensive route would be the 260.

I would do the 260 over the 308 every day.JM2cW

d-a

I dont think either the grendel or 260 would be cheaper than the other. A little more powder with the 260, but brass would cost less.
I dont really care for the .308 cal., imo the 6.5mm & 7mm calibers offer better bullets/b.c./vel., in the smaller cases.
6.5 grendel launches a 123gr. lapua (bc.547) @ 2,600fps.
260 rem. " " @ 3,000fps.
260 rem. spits a 144gr. Lapua FMJ (bc.636) @ 2,750fps.
260 rem. a 140 berger VLD (bc.627) @ 2,800fps.

I dont know... just punchin #'s /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

the cheaper way i was referring to would be the gun build. You are wanting a ar-15 for the grendal and ar-10 for the 260.
Lowers,uppers and barrels for the ar-10 is about double that of the ar-15 platform.

powder brass and bullets only adds a small amount to overall cost.

d-a

DPMS is/has come out with a .260 flat top. Outstanding results from reports so far, but I won't be able to shoot one for a few more months. I've shot a few 6.8s & co-designed a wildcat from the 6.8SPC that's got some potential (necked down to .264 for better bullet selection & re-did shoulders/body - getting 2,850fps from 120s in a bolt gun).

The Grendel (haven't shot one yet) has much more velocity potential for handloads than advertised in their factory loads, but factory ammo was forced to be de-pressured for liability concerns. Shame.

I've got both the 6.8 SPC in an AR15 and the .260 Remington in a DPMS LR-260. Both good guns but the 6.8 can't hold a candle to the 260 ballistically. For that matter niether can the 308. I built the 6.8 as a deer rifle before they made the 22 center fires legal for deer hunting in TN. It works great for our whitetails out to about 300 yards. After that it runs out of steam for my way of thinking. The 260, on the other hand does well out to 500 yards and beyond. I've never had any experience with the Grendal so I can't help you there.

Now if you're shooting people, any one of the three guns will work. Humans are a lot easier to put down than deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.