6-6.5x47 Lapua Build

Sirkle

I was just getting ready to send my specs to my builder for my first custom rifle and it occured to me, this being my first custom, that I could possibly avoid some mistakes and get some good advise from the real experts.
I will use a Bat reciever (MB 1.55 round RBLP), Hart barrel (1.25x6x1.00@28" 1:9 three groove), Jewel trigger (1.5 oz. to 3.5 lbs.) and a Stocky LVR thumbhole laminate. Chambering will be the 6x6.5x47 Lapua with a .268 neck. I get varying opinions on the amount free bore, I plan on shooting the 105gr Bergers. I plan on topping it off with a set of Bat 30mm rings and Night Force NXS 5.5-22x50 NP-R1.
So guys, what do you think, mistakes, things that you might do diffrently? Any advise based on your experiences with custom builds will be greatly appreciated.

Scott.

Welcome to LRH. A near 20 pound rifle in 6-6.5x47, AKA 6x47 Lapua, ought to be a real tack driver. Being it's a single shot the free bore really shouldn't be an issue. I would just go with how the reamer comes. No need to try to shorten it. If you want it longer either go shoot the heck out of it or have your builder use a throat tool to bump it out how ever long you desire. With the parts you have listed you could shoot BB's out of this thing into a pretty small hole. If it doesn't then maybe a different hobby may be in order. Just kiddin. Keep us updated on how it turns out.

I run a 6x47L. It is day in and day out one of my most accurate rifles. I'm running a 27" 1:7.5" twist for the 115 DTACs (2,900 fps comfortably), but it runs 108 BTs exceptionally well also. It is very easy to shoot, very little recoil, and weighs in at roughly 11.5 pounds.

Jeffvn

Last edited:
1:9" sounds marginal unless you're at higher altitudes.

I'd recommend a 1:8" twist for the 105 Berger and 107 SMK.

And, a 1:7.5" twist for the 115 DTACs.

-- richard

I am not an expert, but I do have some experience with this cartridge.

My Ackley Improved versions of the 6X47 Lapua shoot the 105 A-Max and 105 Berger with a 9 twist and 8.5 twist very good, but I am at 4100' elevation, and am pushing them anywhere from 2900'/sec to 3100'/sec out of a 26" barrel (hot loads were 3300'/sec). If there's any chance that you might want to use the 115's I agree with an 8 twist or faster.

I don't know that you really need the 28" barrel length, and I doubt you'll benefit a whole lot from it, that cartridge is extremely efficient. Do whichever you wan't, just saying that I don't believe it's necessary for such an efficient case, it's not like a 6-284 or even the 6.5-284, that really benefit from long barrels. Long barrels also have the reputation for being more "whippy" and I've heard they're more expensive.?

.268 neck means you'll be turning case necks, and you'll be taking alot of brass off. One of mine is a .269 neck and I had to take over .002" off of the virgin cases (minimum just to have fitted necks). Remember, they will thicken after you neck em down to 6mm.

My latest one isn't a tight neck, it's a .273 chamber neck, and leaves .002 clearance on a loaded round without any neck turning. My loaded rounds that haven't been turned are measuring about .271 average diameter. If you wanted a minimum turn gun (so you can turn off uneven neck thickness), you could go with a .270 or .271 neck and then you wouldn't have to take so much brass off.

Personally, I'd rather not turn necks and just sort the cases for neck thickness variances. But that's just me.

Feel free to PM me if you've got any other questions.

Thanks guys, thats the kind of information I am looking for to help me fine tune my needs. I am new to the 6x47L so there is sure to be a learning curve.

Whatever blows ones skirt up is fine with me but frankly I don't want anything but a 'straight' 6.5x47L using Lapua brass! When I get my brass in I run it all through my tool to even up the case mouth as some are somewhat dented inward during shipment, I prime with BR4, weigh out 38.5 grs. Varget, seat a Sierra 123 gr. HPBT and go do this from 1000 yards. 17 rounds in this target, first two are the wind shots over at the 9 o/clock side. The inner plate is 20" diameter.

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/61286670@N08/6066231923/"]Flickr: Page Not Found[/ame]
[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/61286670@N08/6066231923/"]Flickr: Page Not Found[/ame] by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

Here's the rifle:

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/61286670@N08/5575279524/"]RicksTacRifle | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]
[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/61286670@N08/5575279524/"]RicksTacRifle | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame] by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

Rem M700 action w/ Krieger 1-8.5 ROT with McMillan Tac Stock.

Good luck with your build whoever you choose to do it. I talked to a guy a few days ago that was really high on his 6 X 47 as I've heard good things about it from others also.

Sharpsman, sweet looking rig you got there and definately a shooter.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.