6.5x55 Swede testimonials

Being an owner of two 6.5x55's (Gustav and a Steyr Pro-hunter) which I use on boar,moose and roe-deer in Estonia. There are two other calibers (25-06 and .308) in my gun safe. The 6.5 is by far my favourite, apart from it being very accuract, the two things I like very much is it's moderate recoil and the fact that rarely do I find a different bullet (of the same weight) needs adjustment to be on the bull.

If you re going for 8# scoped you ll need a sporter barrel or wrapped tube.

The Swede is a great cartridge. Mine shoots 147 gr bullets at an easy 2800 FPS with R26. It ll go faster but accuracy degraded... it's a 6.5# all up rifle so recoil is firm. As I mentioned the Swede likes slower burning powders in modern actions!

Good luck.

Being an owner of two 6.5x55's (Gustav and a Steyr Pro-hunter) which I use on boar,moose and roe-deer in Estonia. There are two other calibers (25-06 and .308) in my gun safe. The 6.5 is by far my favourite, apart from it being very accuract, the two things I like very much is it's moderate recoil and the fact that rarely do I find a different bullet (of the same weight) needs adjustment to be on the bull.
PS. It is often said that more moose are killed by the 6.5x55 than any other caliber. Also lets face it what is the ultra popular 6.5 Creedmore? A slighly modified Swede😎

6.5 is the most comon caliber here.
I only shoot it myself for competition shooting and some practise for competition.
It is a nice caliber to shoot, but I never wanted one since they are too comon.

A buddy of mine put together a 6.5/55AI with a 98 Mauser action a few years ago. He did all the work himself,with help from a machinist neighbor. Used a Shaw barrel and did a complete rust blue when the assembly was done. Turned out very well and shoots great. He posted the build on AR15.com inder "Mauser build" if you want to have a look. Definitely redneck gunsmithing,but he took his time and had a nice finished product.

A great cartridge. I bumped around New Mexico with one for several years. Its capable of taking everything in that state. I think U.S. loading manuals keep it around 52,000 psi for surplus rifle concerns. In a strong action you can load to much more impressive velocities/pressures. I think SHhooting Times just did an article on it.

You might consider the 6.5-284. Same length as 6.5x55 but with a more efficient case, more capacity, not limited to the lower pressures, and has a solid reputation for accuracy. It's like a modern, wider 6.5x55 that will easily give you 200+fps over the Swede so it will drop less and hit harder.

With modern hot-rod 6.5's, why the 284 Winchester wildcat over one of the newer 'factory' 6.5's? Or, even the 6.5 SAUM that GAP made a big splash with?

I cant yet comment on the terminal ballistics but my Tikka Swede is very accurate and easy to load for. I currently have Barnes 100TTSx and Hornady 120GMX loaded up to try. Hope to be able to share some White-Tail based notes this season.

I built a 6.5x55mm BJAI a number of years ago, but just haven't used it much. I think if I were to do it today, I'd just go with 6.5PRC, not because it does anything more, but because I don't have to fireform. I also had my .30-06 bolt face opened up slightly for the larger bolt face my Lapua 6.5x55mm brass used. Great cartridge, there are just easier options to get the same performance, now.

I have rebuilt a couple of old Model 96 Swedes in 6.5x55 and they were both extremely good shooters. The one I kept came out of the Carl Gustav factory in 1901. It consistently shoots 5 shot groups under and inch with almost every type of bullet - except Bergers fo some reason. My favourite powder for it is Rel 19 and I can get 2900fps with 120 grain Sierras and Ballistic tips, and so far head space has remained within specs. These pre-ww1 actions are soft but I haven't noticed any stretch yet. Recoil is light and they will handle even the heaviest bullet, including the Woodleigh 160 grain which should be a good bear or moose round. For what it is worth my rifles preferred Norma brass. (I think at one time there was a slight difference in case head size between those cases made in Europe and those made in the states.) For a hunting rifle it should have more than enough precision to handle any type of shot you would feel comfortable trying in the field, and with modern bullets it hits above it's weight.

I've had multiple 6.5 x 55's. Grear cartridge. had last barrel re-chambered for
the 6.5 PRC, then the lstest and grestest 6,5 mm Now I need to add basck
a 6.5 x 55 barrel for my Savage 12.
'If I could have only one gun...' after a CZ 457 in .22 WMR (though my 455 in
same is fine!), the centerfire woiuld be a 6.5 x55 Swede...admittedly 260
Remington wouild be second choice AFTER Swede!

I just ordered my 6.5x55 Swede barrel for the Mauser. thank you all for the great opinions and stories! I feel confident in my decision.

With modern hot-rod 6.5's, why the 284 Winchester wildcat over one of the newer 'factory' 6.5's? Or, even the 6.5 SAUM that GAP made a big splash with?
A SAUM would require that he alter bolt face, but OK. Great cartridge. Actually, the Weather 6.5 RPM looks like it has great promise and it retains a .473 bolt face. Basically a stretched .284 case.
I don't know enough about his hunting situation, so he may may not need lots of HP. all of these rounds work with a good bullet and a good eye.

A SAUM would require that he alter bolt face, but OK. Great cartridge. Actually, the Weather 6.5 RPM looks like it has great promise and it retains a .473 bolt face. Basically a stretched .284 case.
I don't know enough about his hunting situation, so he may may not need lots of HP. all of these rounds work with a good bullet and a good eye.
My hunting situation is shots 100-500 yards on deer and black bear. The Swede seems like plenty, and considering that I've gotten considerably more positive feedback on this cartridge than I was expecting, its been decided. My new Swede barrel is already on the way.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts