6.5x55 Swede magazine feeding

stu837

Hey all,

I currently have a Savage 111 long action that is chambered for 25-06. I'm going to be rebarreling to either 260 rem or 6.5x55 Swede and was hoping to get some input from folks who have done the same. My question is, if I go to 6.5x55 will I have any issues with the magazine being able to smoothly and effectively feed the cartridge seeing as how it is optimized for the 30-06 family of cases? I'd like to have the extra powder capacity that the Swede offers, but it won't be worth it to me if I can't cycle the bolt with confidence. Does anyone have any experience in the matter?

It should work better with the 6.5x55 than the shorter 260 rem. You should have no problems.

I have a 111 in 6x55, cut on a 6BR reamer an additional .580" or so deep. The Lapua brass feeds without a hitch from a 30/06 magazine box. I would open up the bolt face an additional .003-.005 in diameter though, mine would not eject an empty case until I did. It would drop them on top of the next round in the magazine.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.