6.5x55 SE or 6.5-06?

It is indeed a standard bolt face. I love the ballistics on the RPM I am just always wary of the Weatherby proprietary cartridges due to brass availability and cost associated with buying a box of their ammo off the shelf. If those two factors didn't exist it wouldn't even be a question, I'd be running the RPM.
I ordered 200 RPM cases from Weatherby on two separate occasions. They went on back order both times but I had the cases in two weeks in both instances. In a hunting rifle, depending on your usage, 200 cases might just be a lifetime supply of brass for that cartridge. Food for thought.

I don't use protection on any of the guns I own, not the ones in my safe or attached to my body …..😂

JB, I assumed that in your "neck of the woods", tape on the muzzle was automatic! With your amount of rain/snow, timber/brush offering potential slip/trip hazards…..I wouldn't make a day's hunt with doing a couple of "face plant (s)! 😂 memtb

I have a ruger hawkeye African in 6.5x55 ,I run 142 accubond long range ( boron coated)over reloader 26 with a 215m . My accuracy load is 1/4" groups @ 2900 fps, during pressure test I was able to reach 3006 fps before I hit the top. IMO any of the cartridges mentioned will get the job done (speaking from experience)but the swede is to me the pick of the litter.

JB, I assumed that in your "neck of the woods", tape on the muzzle was automatic! With your amount of rain/snow, timber/brush offering potential slip/trip hazards…..I wouldn't make a day's hunt with doing a couple of "face plant (s)! 😂 memtb
I like to gamble 😂

With the Swede brass is readily available. I've got 6 Swedish Mausers and a CZ550 American. Lapua is my choice of brass. Either way you go will be a good choice. Since the CM came on the market bullet selection has greatly increased.

We live in a great time right now (maybe not from a price standpoint) for quality and variety when it comes to ammo and components. I love taking these older, well built rifles and getting the most out of them with the quality ammo we have available today. The one thing I would really love to see though (though it's not very likely) is for a resurgence of American manufactured scopes. Leupold makes some of the finest scopes in the world, Nightforce as well. But I would love to see some no frills, hunting focused, solidly built scopes like they had back in the 60's and 70's when Redfield, Leupold, Burris and Weaver were all competing for hunter's business. I have such a love for the look of the old Weaver variables and their steel construction. I love that James Brion over in Montana started his company refurbishing all those great old El Paso made Weaver scopes and putting modern lens coatings on them, such a great idea and I have bought 3 scopes from him and old rings and bases as well. The blend of old and new is kinda neat to do. I wish my wife shared the same sentiments when she sees packages arriving at the house 😂.

Both are great. Assuming you have a standard bolt face you could also look at 6.5 Weatherby RPM.

I love the 6.5x55. It is one of my favorites, but if you reload a 6.5-06AI would be cool too. Or a 6.5x55 AI.
I was in the Weatherby shop a few weeks ago and talked with an engineer/ballistician.

I have a 6 lug Accumark ULW in .243 Win. Long time coyote calling rifle.
I also have a WBY factory takeoff .338-06 A-Square barrel from a 6 lug Super Big-game Master.

We discussed the barrel swap options of the two and I inquired about the 6.5 RPM and .338 RPM option.

The larger diameter RPM case requires more machining to the under side of the action to make room for the cases in the magazine box and effectively makes the barrel swap option in my case untenable to the RPM. I'll be going with the factory takeoff .338-06 A-Square barrel when the time comes.

He showed me the underside of both rifle calibers, Standard/RPM so I could see the difference.

Thought I'd share so the OP would have info on additional modifications to his action required if he went RPM.

Edited to correct to 6 lug action.

Last edited: